Miscellaneous > The Water Cooler -- General Discussions

Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)

(1/7) > >>

MikeInTexas:
Finally got to a covid/riot/election panic show in Pasadena a suburb of Houston on Sunday.

I had a few reports from a friend at the collectors show across town, which was dead on Saturday.

It was a Premiere promoted show, more for the general public than the serious gun collector.

Got there 10 minutes before opening, line out the door, around the front and 50 yards off the back of the building. Friendly crowd that was happy it was not hot.  Very few folks bringing guns in to sell, only saw a few rifles in the line, one an AR in an off caliber, rest was either a hunting rifle or a .22.  Normally there is a good group of folks wanting to sell stuff in the lobby and by the doors.  Not today.  Guessing 60% wearing masks outside.  (95% once inside) Line moved as fast as they could take the money once they opened.  No limits on number of folks inside.

Quickly walked the show and talked to a few vendors I know.  Saturday had been busy and everyone made money.  No moderately priced ARs, everything $850 and up, when you saw one.  Handguns that are popular self defensive or concealed carry orientated were priced way over MSRP.  Only saw a couple of AKs, which is unusual for this show and they were over $1,100.  Times have changed regarding the prices of AKs compared to ARs.  Found two Gen 5 G19 pistols on dealer tables, one priced $825 the other $995! That is quite a price jump for a normally $550-675 handgun.  Not making a negative statement about capitalism and the free market, just observation.

I was fearing I had made an error last week in purchasing a new handgun from Academy for MSRP.  Normally do the internet and FFL thing, but got worried and picked up a new pistol.  Did not see a comparable model for less than $150 over what I had paid for mine.  So a little more satisfaction with my purchase. (at least that is how I am justifying it to myself)

There was a mixed crowd and everyone seemed courteous and friendly.

Lots of bare space on some tables.  People were buying. Ammo sales seemed brisk.  Magazine guy was having a good day.  Knife sharpening guy had a good size pile of work in front of him.  Not as much survival supplies as I've seen in the past. (and that is three days from TS Beta arriving in the area)

Saw a gunsmith buddy of mine and we chatted as I was about to leave.  Conversation trended toward what people were buying and I decided to bring in a rifle I had brought.  Dropped off a very basic ($400) AR-15 with him at his table on consignment.  Headed out after about an hour.

After spending sometime with herself, eating some of my favorite fish tacos on the bay watching the storm come in, I headed back to the show getting there about an hour before closing time.

At 3:00 a number of vendors were packing up.  Still a pretty good number of folks walking around shopping inside.  Made a quick loop and went to check on the rifle.  It had sold for $800.  Had previously told my friend I needed $700, so I was happy and he made a $100 so he seemed happy.  Coincidentally that just about covered my new purchase, lol.

They are having another show at that location next weekend with a different promoter, High Caliber Gun Shows.

Across town, this promoter will be in Humble next weekend.  Second weekend in a row where Houston area is having two shows.

Talking to a buddy who is going to try and get a table in Humble, might bring some extra items to see if the buying spree is alive and well.  Got an AR pistol in .300 BLK that might be sold if the price is right.  Might take a few other guns as well.  We will see.  Figure to get some pocket change to fully accessorize the new acquisition.  Or at the very least cover another AR project.

Final observations:

Hate the panic from the pandemic and the social unrest.

Glad to see gun orientated small businesses making money.

Like the diverse nature of the crowds at the show, hope they vote the correct way in November.

Happy to see the convention center letting as normal as possible show occur.

I'm glad I went, looking forward to this coming weekend.

MikeInTexas:
double tap...................

tracker:
Thanks for your very astute and informative observations.

PhilZ:
Definitely a seller's market right now.

MikeInTexas:
Couple of things I forgot to mention.

It seems premium firearms are not being treated the same way as the more common flagship guns.

Saw a Sig P210 target model for, IIRC, about $1,500 and a standard model for a few hundred less.  Thought those were priced decently.  Those CZ race guns seemed to be the same price as earlier this year.  Folks seemed ok paying almost 2x for a Ruger, Glock, etc. but not for a pistol that was expensive to begin with.  Did see a few Tokarevs on one table, for about $250.  Surprised no one was paying attention to those.  Unusual, foreign and ammo issues may not be the answer for the general public.

Hunting rifles, Weatherbys and the like, seemed to be priced the same as they were last year.  Season is approaching, usually it's time to sell/buy these.

Did not see a single surplus parts kit.  Usually one or two sellers have Sten, Uzi, FAL, Sterling, AK kits.  Usually covered in grease and well worn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version