Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
Off Topic
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
Most of you know that I was diagnosed with cancer in 2013 and am very lucky to still be around.   Earlier this year I decided I wanted to get one of those cancer "awareness" bracelets.  You know, the simple rubber ones.  But every one I saw had something stamped into it like "love" or "hope" or "courage" and I didn't want that.  Everything else was made for women or was unisex which is code for "made for women".  Nothing out there seemed remotely masculine to me.  So I decided I would make one for myself.  Here is the result. 

This one is Elephant hide with a 7oz cow hide backing, glued and hand stitched.  I'm planning on making these available on Ebay or Etsy but will be using black Shark skin or Stingray instead of Elephant because Elephant is a pretty touchy subject with so many people.  I will do Elephant or other hides as a special request to Forum menbers should any of them want one.  I could also stamp 3 initials into the leather instead of the cancer ribbon. 

Many of you have called and shared stories of your own, or a loved ones battle with cancer so I thought you might like to see it.  And if I had enough orders I might see if I could get the Rohrbaugh logo laser engraved into the link instead of the ribbon.  (I'd have to check the legality of that first.)

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:38:54 PM by Brian »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »

Cool idea.  I moved the post to this forum so it would see more traffic.

Not sure about the legality of using Eric's family crest.   ;)

I have had a few holsters in stingray and I find it to be a very nice and durable "exotic" hide without any of the emotional baggage.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
Ya its funny people will get upset about using shark skin, but they don't care about rays.  I always wonder if stingray leather was actually stingray or not some other type of common ray like a cownose ray or something.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
Brian,
       That's a great looking bracelet! Those would make great gifts this Christmas.
The power of prayer and personal stamina should not be overlooked IMO. I'll be looking out for these.
Best of luck and thoughts go out to you!
B
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe