Author Topic: IWB, BPB, OWB Holsters  (Read 4612 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
IWB, BPB, OWB Holsters
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:04:27 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using an IWB (inside waist band), BPB (between pants and belt), and/or a OWB (outside waist band) holster with the R9?

If so, how have they worked?

Any "tuckable" experience out there?

Thanks,

Dick

Welcome home

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: IWB, BPB, OWB Holsters
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »
I never did get on with IWB, any size gun, tho - I have experimented with that Horseshoe SOB .. which for a day when not sitting too much is a viable proposition.  I for most part use high ride belt slides ... but with R9 it is mostly pocket or ankle.

Poor pic below Dick ... this is the belt slide Kevin of K&D made for me ..... he also made a pocket one too.  I like this rig a lot - and only reason I do not use it all that much is, more often than not the position shown here is either filled by SP-101 in a Burke rig ... or the BHP, in a rig you might just remember!!  The R9 being BUG in pocket or ankle.

This set up shown is good - because it all holds real tight to body so, concealment is a breeze.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:03:26 PM »
The trick to IWB carry is to buy your pants with extra room in the waistband and hip area - "relaxed fit" works well for me - and to use the thinnest holster possible that will provide the needed rigidity for gun retention and reholstering.

I almost always use Kydex IWB holsters for that reason.

I find a leather IWB holster with a reinforcing band going around it to be way too thick.  Soft, unmolded leather will not retain the gun without a retention strap.

Matt Del Fatti will make a leather IWB for my 1911, which, per his suggestion, will have reinforcement on one side only, with this side extending up under the thumb safety to hold it on safe.  The reinforcement will be thin metal covered by thin leather.  The other side will be unreinforced for thinness, and the molded leather should provide sufficient rigidity considering that the holster will rarely be empty when worn, and that 1-hand reholstering is not an absolute necessity for me.

None of this is R9 specific, but will work for any gun.

I have been very unimpressed with every tuckable holster I have ever seen (I've personally tried about 7).  There is almost invariably some visible belt attachment, and tucking in the shirt makes the gun-shaped bulge very apparent.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:27:57 PM »
Bill:

I also have about thrown in the towel on "tuckables" for my full-sized pistols -- after several hundred dollars of investment.  The concept is good, but it just doesn't seem to work well for me personally.

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 08:14:21 PM »
Nice holster, nice pic. Looks good there, but I hear what you are saying about the BHP sitting there most of the time.

Who does make a IWB for the R9? I'd like to see a few.

Saw the ones on the Rohrbourgh web site, but no IWB.just OWB.
I will get something for the front pocket, but on occasion, I'd like to carry IWB strong side.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
IWB for R9S
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 07:58:18 AM »
At K&D Holsters, I make an IWB with adjustable kydex clips that has turned out to be a very popular choice for a variety of guns.  The clips allow you to set the "cant" as well as the depth.  It's shown here with a CZ RAMI in place with the standard clips.  The j-hook style of clip is also available.  It can also have a "sweat guard" added.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:58:43 AM by K-Man »
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 08:10:09 AM »
It appears you are the only holster manufacturer that makes a IWB for the R9.
It looks like a very well thought out holster, and very concealable.
Thankyou.

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 09:22:52 PM »
It appears you are the only holster manufacturer that makes a IWB for the R9.
It looks like a very well thought out holster, and very concealable.
Thankyou.

I can build several IWB variations for the R9.  Tony Kanaley, owner of Milt Sparks, also has an R9 so he may offer IWB holsters as well.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »
Hi Matt, thanks. I have delt with Tony in the past. have many MS holsters.

I'm thinking pocket holster at this time, as I will have the same problem as stated above, a larger caliber would sit IWB.

Of course, I have an open mind, and would like to see your offerings.

The R9s we ordered won't be here till spring, so there is time.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 11:41:52 AM »
If you are ordering holsters from a custom maker (which I strongly recommend you do), I suggest that you start ordering them soon, as you will have to wait for them as well.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.