Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Cleaning and Maintenance of the R-9

Alignment issue? with my R9

(1/4) > >>

minnesotaguy:
Love my R9, but….

Sometimes when I rack the slide, or while shooting, the end of the recoil rod gets stuck on the opening of the slide (see photos).   This prevents me from racking the slide.   Simple fix, as all one has to do is push the rod back into the opening of the slide.  But appears that something is out of alignment.

Fortunately the R9 always seems to cycle OK with this issue.   But most of the time while shooting, when I go to replace the mag, the slide does not rack and I have to push the rod back into place.

Hopefully a simple solution for this.

Tom

PhilZ:
I've never had that happen.  Is the guide rod bent?  Is the end cap in place properly?  Did you install a new spring that has a smaller outer diameter that would cause the rod to not center itself in the end cap properly? 

minnesotaguy:
Thanks Phil - Good responses.

The end cap is on properly, and the guide rod seems to be straight.

But just recently replaced the recoil spring (from Wolff Gunsprings)...  maybe the spring is out of spec.   I will try putting on a new recoil spring to see what happens.

PhilZ:
Did the problem start after the new spring?  If so, I would try a different spring from a different lot to see if that fixes the problem.

minnesotaguy:
Continuing Saga     :)

Well...  Tried a new recoil spring (new lot) on the R9 and the same thing happened, so we can rule that out.

Fortunately have a 2nd R9 to compare.   The difference seems to be that the problem R9 has the main recoil rod that does not stay centered in the slide opening (when racking the slide)(main rod actually is recessed in the pistol not allowing the extended part of the rod to stay centered) which allows the extended portion of the rod to be miss-centered and get caught in the opening.   

The other non-problem R9 has the main recoil rod stay centered as the main part of the rod stays within the opening (when racking the slide), not allowing the extended part of the rod to get caught.

Have taken photos of the main recoil rods of both R9's.   The problem one is right.  Interesting to note that the end nubs of the two rods are different sizes.

Problem R9 is serial # 29xx, OK R9 is serial # 19xx

Maybe it is time to purchase and replace the problem recoil rod?   Any thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version