Author Topic: No "fluff and buff" required -- I hope  (Read 16480 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
No "fluff and buff" required -- I hope
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:24:04 PM »
Those of you who frequent KTOG and KTRange will know what I am talking about.  Kel-Tec guns can sometimes need (maybe need is too strong a word) some gentle fluffing and buffing out of the box for maximum performance.  Mine never did -- and ran 100% out of the box -- but detailed instructions are available on all the home-made mods you can do.

I don't think Rohrbaughs will need that kind of "attention to detail" work.

But -- I bet here is all kinds of cool custom work that could be done.  Mill in some night sights, some hi-tech finishes...

Any ideas?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline packin_heat

• Sultan of Swing, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Re: No "fluff and buff" required -- I ho
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 06:33:36 PM »
heres what im thinkin..."melt" the slide just to smooth it a bit more, mill in some mini nite sites, mabey some "fish scale" grips on the slide, port the barrel. and some carbon fiber laser grips would make it sweet.   im gettin all frisky just thinking about it  ;D
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
"Pphh...English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!"
"I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns".

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »
I know I won't be able to leave mine alone !  First will be a slight *De-horn*  

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 07:22:33 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 08:51:35 PM »
I've done the F&B with all of my Kel-tecs and enjoyed doing it.  I don't plan to do it to my soon to arrive R9s.  For the cost I'm hoping for the fit & finish of my Ed Brown, or close to it.  Mr. Hedley what is the difference in your "standard" and "limited" holsters for this pistol?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Thanks

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 11:37:46 PM »
You will not need to fluff and buff. The workmanship is unreal. More of a custom gun than a production one.

But I do miss my Gutter Snipe sights.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
I'm with George here .. this gun arrives ready to rock .... once you inspect re fit and finish I think you'll see where I'm comin from.  In fact I think it would be a mistake to do anything ..... let alone perhaps voiding your warranty.

To be honest I cannot so far think of one thing I want to add or change on my R9S .... it is ...... complete.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 08:16:24 AM »
Think of a Kel Tec as a KIA and a Rohrbaugh like a Rolls Royce. The difference in fit and finish is that different. The only thing Rohrbaugh didn't due is to jewel the parts.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:39:51 AM »
The REASON Eric and Karl are working those terribly long hours getting these pistols out, is that they are each one, hand fitted to MORE exacting tollerances than a production gun by far.  Then one of them tests each gun, and only when they FEEEEEL it is as close to perfect as possible does it go out the door.

I thought my trigger was fabulous when I shot it in PA... but it was a LOT better when I got it.  I called and asked, it was just not quite a perfect enough version of smoooooth for them, so they worked it over again before I got it.

To get an idea of the trigger, take a stick of butter out of the refrigerator, unwrap it and set it out for a half hour.  Then  with the tip of your finger, drawl an inch long line down the stick of butter with a light touch... that is what the trigger feels like... like moving through warmed butter!   :o
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

wilco

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 03:04:07 PM »
For the price, it certainly should have a touch or two "extra".  Since most attacks occur in poor light, not having luminous sight inserts is pretty silly, on a ccw pc.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »
Honestly, I have high night sights on several guns and never liked them much.  I find them much harder to use in the daytime and dusk-like conditions that regular three dot white sights.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 04:10:30 PM »
Jody's trigger description is spot on ... I'm not so sure mine isn't even sweeter since that first try at PA shoot.

Almost amazes me that with the trigger the way it is .... there is enough pin energy to fire off the primer .... but it does!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 04:36:54 PM »
Stop it -- you guys are killing me...   :'(
Duane (DDGator)

wilco

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 05:40:31 PM »
By "use it in daylight" do you mean getting superfast hits at 10 ft and less? Cause that's the reality of 90|+% of justifiable civilian self defense. I fail to see how luminous inserts hurt such shooting at all. Not being able to see your sights, however, can really hurt you at such ranges.

Under lethal stress conditons, your body "dumps' adrenalin, and that ruins the fine neuromuscular "feedback" that you need for effective pointshooting with a pistol.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:48:09 PM »
Your response seems contradictory to me.  Why are sights more important at night than during the day?

I shoot IPSC nearly every week, and I always (unless I screw up) see my front sight before I pull the trigger -- even when shooting 36 or more rounds, under stress, with 5 reloads and moving 75 feet -- all in less than a minute.  

I find that the night sights are less visible to me than a solid white dot on the front site.

For purely defensive shooting at close ranges, I think instinctive point shooting is the same whether you can see the sights or not -- and you probably won't look for them.
Duane (DDGator)

wilco

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 07:36:23 PM »
u can't MISS seeing good luminous sights at night. IPSC RARELY fires any shots as close as 10 ft, and 10 ft is about max range for justifiable civilian self defense, and yes, you sure can miss the chest, repeatedly, at 6 ft or so, if you dont have some sort of sight reference.  In daylight, you have at LEAST the silohuette of your hands and the gun as a rough "sighting tool". At night, you have nothing of the kind.