Author Topic: Spring replacement  (Read 16267 times)

Offline cordy

Re: Spring replacement
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »
I have shot/racked my Pup about 100 - 150 times and from the get go I have a FTF almost every other time I shoot so I from the start I tried several (4) types of different ammo to see if that was the problem. Two of the ammo changes were very good critical Defense Ammo (Hornady & Winchester) & still 50% FTF.  Could I be having a spring problem that would cause 50% failures? The cartridges that don't fire look like they are not hit hard enough compared to the ones that go off. My spring has lost about 1/8" of it's length in the 2 weeks I have owned it & the 100-150 shots/racks. What do you think?

Jim
Jimbo

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »
I have shot/racked my Pup about 100 - 150 times and from the get go I have a FTF almost every other time I shoot so I from the start I tried several (4) types of different ammo to see if that was the problem. Two of the ammo changes were very good critical Defense Ammo (Hornady & Winchester) & still 50% FTF.  Could I be having a spring problem that would cause 50% failures? The cartridges that don't fire look like they are not hit hard enough compared to the ones that go off. My spring has lost about 1/8" of it's length in the 2 weeks I have owned it & the 100-150 shots/racks. What do you think?

Jim

Jim,
I have been absent from the forum for awhile.
You don't say how old your R9 is.  I know many older ones that had FTF (Feed) problems had them solved by going to the new stronger magazine springs.

If your problem is FTF (Fire) from weak primer hits give Rohrbaugh a call.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:02:55 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline cordy

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »
My Pup is 2 weeks old & the FTF (Failure to Fire) problem is the that it won't shoot 90% of the factory ammo so I'm left only shooting 2 types of ammo (Speer Gold Dot & Fed American Eagle FMJ) because I can't get Win Silvertip.
Jimbo

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

Cordy,
Don't despair; many of us have been through similar difficulties and inevitably it will work out; just keep using the ammo that works for you.
Either the gun improves or the factory will fix it.

Offline cordy

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
I guess I'm stuck with it for now but I love the little burger and would really like to shoot the best/newest ammo out there, if possible, but I'll live with it.  Question:  My recoil spring is now measuring 36.14mm after about 250 shots/racks. A new one measures 40.3mm & I wonder how short it will go or when it will start to fail so I'll have a gauge for replacement. I'll slow down on shooting it as soon as I get fully use to it, get fully comfortable & secure with the CD ammo  & John's grip extension he made for me.  
Jimbo

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »

There is no fail point with the spring and you should change it at the recommended interval; like now. Did you say CD ammo as in Critical Defense? If so, don't bother and try something else that works.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
I only buy and use two types of ammo in my pup.  Winchester white box for practice and Speer gold dot for carry (and occasional practice).  I have never had either fail.

Don't forget that, while Walmart usually carries WWB, they are NOT shooter friendly (don't let their large supply of hunting supplies confuse you on this important point).  It will cost a few pennies more per shot, but try to support your local gun shop!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline cordy

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
I think the factory recommends 200-300 shots/racks doesn't it?  What affects will you encounter if you go to long on the spring replacement?  I'm shooting the hell out of it now that I got the right ammo.
Jimbo

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
The factory recommends 200 rds and change springs.  I don't know what would happen if you continue to shoot.  Probably, failure to eject.  I just do what the factory recommends and go from there and everything works as it should.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
The cost of recoil springs is minimal, and I have a bundle of them in reserve. Actually, I view the routine changing of recoil springs as simply one step in the process of keeping the "instrument" in tune. Even Fender guitars, Stradivarius violins, and  Lamborghini Murciélagos need to be kept in tune.  

The Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest, lightest, pocket pistol yet designed and produced for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. It's tolerances are precise and minimal. As has been said before, "This ain't your granddaddy's 1911."   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
I'm with Richard.  The 9mm Parabellum is a high pressure round (38,500 psi) so that little recoil spring is what keeps the slide from battering the frame to death during recoil.
There have been pictures posted of wear on the frame down below the rails.  I think most of that wear occurs when the recoil spring has gotten weak.

Hey, look at it this way: At about $5 per spring, that's like 3 or 4 rounds of premium ammo at today's outrageous prices!

So we should all do ourselves and our R9 pistols a favor and replace those recoil springs sooner rather than later.      :P

Steve

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
wow - great report
Glenn

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »
New thread on Glock Talk

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218737

Thanks, CCW!  I guess you've picked up your new .380 by now!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:33:42 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln