Author Topic: Oil instead of Grease?  (Read 24539 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Oil instead of Grease?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 06:47:32 PM »
Fred - make mine Wild Turkey ;D

I don't think really the slide length will make that big of a difference - it is in a sense just a scale thing.  Longer slide/frame more surface area of course but the excursion of movement under cycling will be essentially same whether mini semi or full size.

I certainly have found on my SIG that the Militech1 application is very persistant between routine strip/clean/relube intervals.  No drying up at all.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »
R9SCarry

Thanks and makes sense. Just to add, and as this subject considering all the variables could be debated to no apparent conclsion, the more slide area contact through cycling, the more opportunity for friction and actual contact with lubricant. Example my Kahr PM9 performed relatively well with grease, whereas my Sig 225, 228, 210 perform OK after warm, but performed much better with an oil application, and I agree 100% Militec-1 oil would be equally efficient to most grease applications for 100+ rds range sessions.

As I mentioned earlier, If I do not get rained out (much rain headed for the Cumberland Plateau this evening) my new pup is going to the range for some exercise tomorrow morning, and grease vs oil will be part of my agenda. Range report later.

Again, Thanks for the conversation!

Visit Crossville someday and I will pour you that drink of Turkey!  ;)

Kindest regards, Fred

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Grease is the word...
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 03:56:33 PM »
I had a spell of concern with my SIG last year - and having used on that Tetra grease and Militech grease, found that the grease was getting ''crud-bound'' - sufficient to slow the slide with drag such that std pressure ammo was giving trouble.  +P was OK.  Forget round count but it was not a huge thruput.

Well, I sure found myself 'on topic' with my return from vacation post.
My point was all the dynamics of pocket carry are different from other methods. IWB,OWB,Vest, etc., do not necessarily consider body heat, lint, sweat and therefore we must do as the Brothers R insist. Heat migration can't be as big a problem with grease as with oil. Yes, I definitely don't want oil in my pocket, it's a dead giveaway you're packing. Or something;^)  So as others have said, clean often. If nothing else, it'll give you something to do;^) Plus, I have a 10,000 year supply of SuperLube...

Hayword N. Edgewise

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Oil is in...
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 05:27:37 PM »
>>Not to cause more confusion here but in a recent conversation I had with Eric he told me they are NO LONGER USING GREASE.  I did a double take on that given how strongly they had been advising grease.  

When I questioned Eric further he just matter of factly said yep - they are now using and advising use of oil, not grease...!  Still somewhat in shock I asked what special oil they advised...?...?  He said any good gun oil will do.  Go figure...?...!  

I didn't have a chance to question him further about this during that conversation...but I'm wondering if older guns should still be greased, not oiled...?  This is something I would like clarified as I own two early R9s.  But meanwhile, I did clean and oil one of my R-9s the other day and took it to the range.  Only put one clip through it but it felt and shot great.

If anyone else has a chance to speak with Eric before I do I would appreciate learning about treatment of these older R-9s...TW<<

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:02:37 AM by TW »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
My thought is that this was a change in philosophy and
not related to a functional change that would only apply
to newer guns. It could be that some were overdoing the
grease applications and inducing problems but that is only
a speculation.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »
TW - it IMO a broad policy change on all the guns - no difference if new or old.

I did for some while before this decision was made public, steer away from grease because of an experience with my SIG 226 ST - getting profound ''grease drag'' with the slide.  It occurred after not that much shooting whereby it seemed some crud got mixed in with grease and it all went stiff.  Std pressure would result in incomplete slide travel and failure to feed.  +P was OK.

Translating this onto the R9 I felt that grease was just too risky for me and switched to Mobil1 or Militec1 - accepting easily that I might well increase my lube schedules if need be.

This is slide only BTW - for me.  I still apply grease to pin and barrel lug slot and barrel muzzle area.  Thing is IMO - really tight tolerances between slide rails, per 226 and R9 - means very little ''forgivemness'' with drag effects from grease.

I believe the later guns coming out have been fractionally ''eased'' on tolerance too - very tiny amount but probably a beneficial effect.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Oil instead of Grease?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »
>>Hi Chris...

Thanks for your thoughts on the oil vs grease issue.  One question though...  Where and when did this info come out publically from Rohrbaugh...?  I gott tell you I was really surprised to hear this from Eric so matter of factly.  Could be I missed something to this effect here on the forum but the closest I found was this thread - which never addressed the changeover.  Thanks in advance for your wisdom this issue...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »
Know what??  I am danged if I quite know or remember ;)  Really.

It sorta ''came to be known'' and IIRC there has been a change in the latest manual to this effect.  I got the new manual copy from Eric last October when he sent me back a frame which had had a seized screw.  I posted that info[/ur] to the FAQ site after scanning ....... as to an exact date - not much help.  I'd have to ask Eric I guess.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline robertmeco

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »
I am very new to the forum and at the risk of sounding stupid Has any one used Eezox to lub the R-9? If so what wer the results? Thanks robert

robertmeco

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
No, but Eezox, Slide-glide, Miltec, etc., are all great products
and, no doubt, will serve you well with the pup. I own them
all and would not hesitate to use any of them. Also, Ballistoil,
as recommended by Richard is an excellent product. I bought
that one also but haven't used it yet.

They are all excellent and high quality.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 09:59:14 AM »
What Tracker said!  They're all great products.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline marco

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 08:40:17 PM »
Hey Guys!

New to the forum.  Pick up my first R9 Stealth tomorrow.  Very excited?  Do I need to clean and lube this pup before heading to the range like other pistols?  Please advise...

Also, should I run a bunch of diffrenet ammo through it during the break in period?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Offline M14-68

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
If your interested check out GunButter. They make an oil and an action grease that is impressive. I use it on all my Nighthhawk 1911's and my AR's. After initial application it stays put, does not migrate and is slicker than you know what. Makes post range clean up very easy. Comes in a needle applicator and you can order it on-line. Very fast shipping.
Concealment is not always cover.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of Gun Butter;
it is a terrific lubricant. We are very fortunate to have the
selection of so many superb lubrication products. One I don't
think has  been mentioned here that has a different purpose
is Corrosion X; it is one of the best protective coats available.
I have used it extensively and it is very effective in a humid
climate.  

http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:09:31 PM by tracker »

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
We do indeed have a vast number of lubricants offered to us.  I had not heard of GunButter before this and could not resist the urge to place an order.  I normally resist impulse buying but failed this time.

I use Wilson's Ultra-Lube Grease on my Kimber and so was able to resist the impulse to add GunButter grease to my order...

Thanks for the suggestion...
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin