Author Topic: barrel cleaning  (Read 14441 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: barrel cleaning
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Indubitably driven by the gentry trade who weren't raised in the holler on moonshine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:05:25 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
Well spoken!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
I have resurected this old thread as I am curious about the barrel condition on the newer Rohrbaughs

I have had two, R4059 and now R4283.  The former was junk and went back to Long Island for good.  The latter is  in my possesion now and both have had the roughest bores of any handgun I have owned.  R4283 functions fine and this is the only problem with it.  Kj and Corey have seen the pictures of R4059 and have told me they agree with me that it was not really acceptable.  Eric saw the pictures when I asked for a new barrel on warranty and had Maria tell me that all their barrels looked like that and if the gun functions, it is not a problem in their opinion.

Is this a common problem or did it just occur in guns in the early 4000's?  Does anyone else have this problem?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
After cleaning my gun yesterday I looked closely at the barrel and didn't notice any of the roughness that was on yours. My S/N is 7XX, about 6 years old and has about 350 rounds through it. The last time I cleaned it after shooting was with the old standby, Hoppe's #9. Although I hadn't shot it in over 6 months I decided to clean and lubricate it again.

This time I used "Blue Wonder" on a brass brush and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes  before reswabbing the barrel. A fair amount of  lead and copper residue came out that wasn't removed by Hoppes. This seems to be an excellent barrel cleaner.

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:56:25 PM by tracker »

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Try a dab of JB Bore Cleaner.   It's a paste and will actually help lap the roughness out of the barrel.   Over time it should stop happening.    It may be that Rohrbaughs need a break in like new rifle barrels.   In order to break in a new rifle barrel, even a high quality cut rifled barrel here's what I do.   I clean the bore after each shot for the first ten rounds.   Then I clean it after every 5 rounds for the next 10 and after 10 I do it again.   After those 30 rounds it is considered broken in and ready to go.  

Cleaning consists of a pass with a patch with bore cleaner,  5 brush strokes and patch it dry...shoot...clean again same way.    In a precision rifle I never use the same brush after the first 10 or the second 10 and throw them away.  What you are really doing is by shooting and cleaning  is lapping all the roughness out.

If you do that with a Rohrbaugh, by the time that range session ends you'll have disassembly down to an art form.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:40:05 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms