Author Topic: New R9s Owner To Be  (Read 13457 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: New R9s Owner To Be
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »
I've been shooting Auto Mags for close to 25 years and have actively collected them for 10 or 12 years.

I also own a good number of Jurras and Lomont guns as well as factory guns.

As far as I know, Prototypes 001 and 002 are owned in Washington state and are non-firing concept guns.  003 is in California and is the first functioning AMP and fired 20 some rounds before breaking.  There is no 004.

I own XP005, XP008, and XP010. XP005 is an important gun as it is the first AMP to be assembled with the improvements incorporated by Chief Engineer Bob Barbasiewicz.  It is the first AMP that continued to function and functions yet today.  XP010 is an important gun as it includes all the modifications that were needed.  There were no major improvements to the design after XP010.

I have chosen to wait until all the new design changes can be incorporated to take delivery on my Founder's Edition.  It should be delivered soon I hope.  It has been a long wait.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
I though I had a few photos of his....

I wish I had a better photo than this of his Alaskan model, you can see the the shoulder stock slot and the end of the stock in the photo.

NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
The LEJ Alaskans are really neat and rare, Jurras did not make many.

I do not know what the #2 Prototype "B" Solid Bolt gun is.  I have never heard of prototypes for that series.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
Definitely toys for big boys.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »
  Welcome aboard Praelus.
      I don't think you will find a gun that is more comfortable or concealable.
         Top notch forum and a bunch a very knowledgeable and helpful people.

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
What's the phrase: "...the only different between a man and a boy is the price of his toys" 

Very nice toys!!!
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 09:22:51 AM »
Here is the WOW gun of my Auto Mag collection. 

A 16" octagonal Lomont 44 AMP.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
I don't know if that's a "WOW" gun or an "Ouch" gun!  LOL

That must have a bark to it when you pull the trigger! 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
WOW!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »
I don't know if that's a "WOW" gun or an "Ouch" gun!  LOL

That must have a bark to it when you pull the trigger!

I think the "ouchiest" handguns I have shot have been micro guns with hot loads.  I have a 38sp/357mag S&W M&P 340 that is 13.8 oz. When I shoot hot 357mag through it, it's usually one or two shots and I'm done.  I haven't shot one, but I would think that the weight of that 16inch barrel would help tame the recoil. 

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
The 16" Lomont AMP is one of two made and the other was fired a lot.  This one is unfired so I have not shot it.

The AMP's all are fairly easy to shoot and very accurate.  I have fired the 6 1/2" versions a lot and they are easier to shoot than my 629 Smith.

Here is a picture of Kent Lomont holding it.  This pic was taken at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot 30 some years ago.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
Welcome.

This is a special place on the 'net.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
Here is the WOW gun of my Auto Mag collection. 

A 16" octagonal Lomont 44 AMP.

Here is a photo of my friends 14” octagonal engraved Lomont...

NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline Praelus

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
Hi again all,

I’m pleased to tell you that the R9 finally arrived today.  I picked it up at my FFL and documented the process of unboxing and disassembly once I got home, as you’ll see below.

Disassembly wasn’t too difficult, aside from not quite having the hang of holding the slide open to remove the pin yet.

I cleaned and lubed the gun with the Mil-Comm lineup that I use in my other firearms.  I followed the instructions in the manual and on the following page, with the exception of substituting TW25B for the Super Lube and MC2500 for the Mobil 1.

http://www.thingameez.com/download-pdf/r9-eric-stills.pdf

As I said, disassembly wasn’t too bad - but reassembly was another matter.  Suffice it to say that profanities were uttered and tears were shed before all was said and done. :) The main pain points were getting the recoil spring assembly back into the slide with the spring under tension, and getting it to line up properly so that the slide could be mounted on the frame.

I am sure that there’s just a learning curve and I’ll get better at it with time, but if anyone has any pointers, I’m certainly all ears.  (I unfortunately didn’t have a pair of channel lock pliers as the manual suggests, but I’m interested to hear if that’s what other people here use.)

I am hoping to find time for range trip later this weekend and will certainly post the results of that session afterward.

Thanks again for all your comments so far, and I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Offline Praelus

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
Hello again gentlemen,

I’m happy to report that I took the R9 to the range today and it functioned flawlessly. :)

I ran three magazines of 124 gr Gold Dot through it without any trouble at all.  I loaded five rounds into the first two magazines and a full six rounds into the third.

As promised, this will be the first and last time I fire the weapon until next April!  I am very pleased with this result and now feel like I can carry with confidence, which I plan to do starting today.

Point shooting at five yards