Author Topic: Target acquisition  (Read 3865 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Target acquisition
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
I read somewhere about looking at the target instead of the front sight.  Look at a potential target, then close your eyes and point your finger where you think the target is.  Amazingly, if you then sight down the finger as if it was a pistol, you are pretty darn much right on target.  I think I may start practicing close range (10 yards or less, at least for now) to see how it works.  Any others using this technique out there?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Target acquisition
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
Years ago, I took several Sporting Clays lessons from an older gentleman from England. First thing he taught us was look at the target, not the sights & use your finger to point at the target. Unbelievable success. Never forgot that good advice.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »
I read somewhere about looking at the target instead of the front sight.  Look at a potential target, then close your eyes and point your finger where you think the target is.  Amazingly, if you then sight down the finger as if it was a pistol, you are pretty darn much right on target.  I think I may start practicing close range (10 yards or less, at least for now) to see how it works.  Any others using this technique out there?
The only way I shoot.....

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
That technique is basic to many endeavors where a target is the objective; such as golf in taking dead aim or flying airplanes and looking outside to find the airport on approach or looking at the end of the runway when landing instead of focusing downward at the point of unintended landing and crunching it.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »
cargaritaville I was taught the same way.  My left index finger still points at the target when shooting shotguns.  I've passed that trick on to many other shooters.  I think that applies to a lot of shooting, as I have seen 3-gunners doing basically the same thing with their ARs.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Thanks!  When I was a kid my father, uncles, grandad used to take us shooting up in the mountains of Western Maryland at the old "Y dam".  My cousins and I all had pump .22's. The uncles would throw pop bottle tops into the air and we shot them with great accuracy...I seem to remember never sighting the rifle...young eyes, no fear, no bad habits!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
That technique is basic to many endeavors where a target is the objective; such as golf in taking dead aim or flying airplanes and looking outside to find the airport on approach or looking at the end of the runway when landing instead of focusing downward at the point of unintended landing and crunching it.

I have to admit that, back when I was burning up the sky in a Cessna 150 Aerobat, I "crunched" a few landings.  However, I hasten to add that I never "scratched, nicked, or dented" the aircraft.

The described technique is what I use when shooting.  (I should have used it for landing the little Cessna.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
  A few PGA Tour players like Jordan Spieth look at the hole on short putts instead of looking down at the putter during the stroke. There is a definite trend toward focusing on the target more than the weapon of choice.