Author Topic: Franklin Armory 11.5 inch barreled NFA workaround.  (Read 2624 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Franklin Armory 11.5 inch barreled NFA workaround.
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
Don't know if you guys have seen this, but Franklin Armory has thought way outside the box in getting a long gun with a 11 1/2 inch barrel to not be a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and not need a tax stamp.

Most of  us have seen or shot AR pistols with arm braces that get you close to the advantages of a SBR'd AR rifle.  Kinda of a workaround of Federal laws regarding rifles.

Now these guys have figured out that in order to be a rifle you have to have rifling by definition.  If you are a smooth-bore you fall into some of the shotgun restrictions. 

How do you get a long gun, with a real stock, barrel under 16 inches and not be in NFA territory?  Well it seems you put lands and groves in your barrel so it's not a smooth-bore, but you don't put a twist on them so it's not technically rifling.  Yes, straight rifling is not legally rifling.  Then the barrel length rules don't apply and you sell it for $2K.

http://www.recoilweb.com/franklin-armorys-reformation-revealed-133042.html

Not sure if it will be successful, but hey, they trying wild stuff to get around the laws these days.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:07:05 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: Franklin Armory 11.5 inch barreled NFA workaround.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
That is a VERY cool idea. Its amazing how people can legally do things that you know the ATF gets hot about. I don't think there will be a lot of interest so they may slide under the radar. I wish them luck.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
I assume they are pricing it so high to recoup their R&D costs before ATF fixes that loophole.  The whole things seems silly to me.  I will be interested to see some detailed testing results.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
I assume they are pricing it so high to recoup their R&D costs before ATF fixes that loophole.  The whole things seems silly to me.  I will be interested to see some detailed testing results.

Once you hear 4 inch groups at 50 yards, you might not want (or need) anymore testing results :)

Supposedly they have a special bullet for it that looks like a football with fins on the back that is more accurate than regular off the shelf cartridges.

I wish them well, it is not something I am interested in, but I wholeheartedly support the introduction of radical new ideas into the firearms world.

edited to add: Picture of the new bullet

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:56:34 PM by MikeInTexas »