Author Topic: Non magnetic knife -- to avoid compass distortion  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Non magnetic knife -- to avoid compass distortion
« on: June 15, 2005, 04:00:16 AM »
I notice someone posted about a Ti and carbon fiber tanto knife -- anyone hear of another non-magnetic one that might be more useful as a work knife -- would be nice to not have to worry about staying away from the front of the cockpit on the boat.

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Non magnetic knife -- to avoid compass distort
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »
Take a look at these from Mission Knives.

http://www.missionknives.com/

Also, if you want a smaller folder, take a look at the Dendritic Cobalt folder sold by Shomer-Tec.

http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=99884DF0-0F9B-7016-B469823B3482F249

I keep one of these knives clipped to the pocket of my bathing suit while swimming.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 07:44:43 PM »
Bill -- tell me more about the folder -- I am interested!

Any pictures of yours?  Is there a trick to sharpening it?

Is it actually undetectable by metal detectors? (Scientific curiosity -- as well as concern -- I wouldn't try it).
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:39:54 AM »
I don't have a digital camera but there should be a picture on the Shomer Tec website.

As far as metal detectors go, it depends on how sensitive they are set.  Less sensitive ones will miss it, more sensitive ones will detect it.  As you mentioned in another thread, not worth trying if there are criminal penalties involved or if the consequences of getting caught are worse than being asked to leave.

A metal detector basically works by inducing an electrical current in the metal with a first coil, and then detecting the resulting magnetic field with a reference coil.  If it can conduct electricity, it can be detected by a metal detector with sufficient sensitivity, although ferromagnetic metals are easier to detect.  It used to be that only ferromagnetic metals were detectable but that is no longer the case.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.