Author Topic: AFRICA!!!  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
AFRICA!!!
« on: January 22, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »
Well, I'm definitely going, leaving on Feb. 28th -- wish me luck -- I'm hoping to be able to take my 45-70 1895 Cowboy marlin with me.  I'm planning on using 540 gr. rounds from garrett cartidges.  If anyone else has a marlin 45-70, I really recommend a wild west gun trigger replacement -- just got to play w. it today, and it really improves the feel, and gets rid of the "flop."  I'm ordering their big loop conversion, and upgraded extractor before I go.  Now, I need some opinions, and, as always on this board, I'm more than happy to have opinions that I didn't ask for.  A) I assume a 420 gr. would be better on cats than a 540, but the 540 would be better for buffalo -- which would I be more likely to "run into"?  I will be in the eastern province of Zambia -- luwanga valley.  I'm leaning toward just getting the 540 gr. bullets.
B)  Any suggestions for how to "pop off" a trijicon ACOG sight?  I'm planning on putting the one off my 10/22 race gun onto the Marlin for the trip -- simply the best, and safest sight I can think of for having to use on a close gun.  However, my brother, correctly, thinks that it will look terrible in any photos -- I'm not really too concerned about that, but if someone suggests something they think will work as well, but look better, I'd like to hear it.

Thank You
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: AFRICA!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:09:11 AM »
Brad:

I would say that is definitely enough gun!  The 540 gr. Garrett in 45-70 will stop an elephant.  Good hunting!

(You have probably already seen this commentary on the Garrett web site, but it has some useful information:  http://www.garrettcartridges.com/420.asp  )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:29:05 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »
Cats are thin skinned and a good expanding bullet is the trick-assuming that you've placed it properly.

Buff call for either solids or controlled expansion bullets (especially when there is another one behind the target. Shot placement rules here also. Make sure that your guide tells you where he wants the bullet placed and be able to place it where he wants it. That will help keep you both out of trouble. I've killed a large bull with a Bitterroot 275 gr bullet from a .375 H&H Imp.

Make sure that the sight can handle the recoil. Put about 25-50 rounds through it and see if it is still fixed to the receiver with it's internals in working order. A Leopold 2.5x-5x is a good choice also.

Good hunting. Be safe.
Welcome home

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
See, that's my concern about the cats -- I'm thinking more of in a "self-defense" situation what I should have it loaded with, while we're out going after antelope/other game where we aren't expecting anything too dangerous -- should I have it loaded for cat or for big game -- I'm thinking I should just keep the 540s in it, since if I load it for cat, I won't have any effect on a buffalo, etc -- but I think a 540 gr 458, even if it doesn't expand should still do some damage to the cat, esp. if I hit bone.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:34:23 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Aglifter, I would keep it simple and carry one load and bullet weight, some soft nose and some solids. That way it is easier to figure where the bullet will hit. Most of the time carry soft nose bullets and shoot everything with those bullets. When shooting buff, the PH will want the first round a soft nose so that the solid will not go thru and hit another animal in the herd. Also solids are good for small animals that you do not want to tear up with a soft nose.
Please take alot of photos, so you can post here.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »
I agree with Tom.

The PH will tell you what he wants in the chamber--chances are that he won't let you chamber a round until it's time to go into action. Makes it much safer for him that way.
Welcome home

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »
Well, the solid bullets are pure lead, but they're a very hard lead -- I'll contact Garrett and get their opinion -- thank you for the advice.  

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 11:16:44 PM »
Aglifter:
Congratulations! Sounds like a great trip.
Brian Pearce wrote two articles in the January & March 2004 issues of Rifle magazine about his experiences in Africa with an 1895 Marlin .47-70.  He used Cor Bon .45-70 405 gtrain FP PEN to take Cape Buffalo.  His first shot broke both shoulders of the bull and killed a cow standing hidden behind the bull.  There was a picture of the second bullet that "penetrated from rump to brisket of the ancient buffalo". That must be six feet of tough animal... :P
The PH didn't charge Pearce for the second buffalo because she had been hidden from view.

Wolf Publishing Company usually has back issues in stock. http://www.riflemagazine.com  928 445-7810 is phone # listed in their masthead.