Author Topic: Revo carry??  (Read 13764 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Revo carry??
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:11:19 AM »
I guess for most part - most of us here are semi auto users ... R9 is .... of course, but seems like most folks have an auto in larger form too.

I have auto's ... and have carried them ....... from P series Rugers, to compact 1911.  Even too smaller stuff like Bersa and Mak.

However, as some may remember me saying ..... my daily carry - of choice - is and has been now for some time - my Ruger SP-101.

I think this is in part due to my ''teething'' a quarter century ago and more - on revo's anyways.  I used a M686 almost exclusively for many years of competition.

I am not saying that auto's are perforce ''jamomatics'' but - I have to say, the rugged simplicity of a revo always appeals and I have greater confidence in them .. I shoot D/A quite well too.  

The round count is necessarily lower ... I have five and then just one speedloader.  Tho heck ... if that ain't enough, then things are gonna be BAD!!

Do we have ANY revo folks??  I mean, much as I adore my R9s .. it is not top of the list for choice when circumstances permit my revo.  It'll be BUG or .......... the absolute ideal for deep conceal cases when clothing is so skimpy - I'd nearly be arrested for exposure!! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Revo carry??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 01:57:51 PM »
Don't assume to much R9SCarry... I am a confirmed revolver shooter.

My primary carry gun is a S&W 342.  When that is too big for the pants I am wearing (mostly when wearing a suit), the nod went to the P-3AT or soon the R-9s.

When I compete in IPSC I shoot a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP.  I am going today to order my new S&W PC revolver -- more on that later.

I learned to shoot with wheelguns (first a Ruger single-action, then on to Colts and Smiths and even a Dan Wesson) and feel most comfortable with them.  I like the simplicity of handling and the manual of arms.  I am very comfortable with the DA trigger and shoot revolvers well.

That being said, the R-9s does offer a slimmer package than a j-frame and will fill a niche.  It is a bit "revolver-like" in that it is a true DAO and not exactly a fast reload, given the mag release, lack of slide lock, etc.  I think of the R-9 a lot like a 7 shot 9mm "snub nose."  ;D

I like the feeling of beating semi-auto shooters with my 625 at IPSC.  I believe that truly good shooters need to be able to handle a revolver.  If you master that, a semi-auto is a piece of cake.  (Said with my tongue planted lightly in my cheek.)

Wheel guns are real guns!  

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 04:53:26 PM »
Rock on Duane .... of course - I forgot what you'd said re your 625!!  Glad to have a ''wheelie buddy'' on the team! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:48:24 PM »
Just today I put my money down for a S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp.  That is going to be a sweet gun.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 01:01:12 AM »
Jim - welcome!  :)

My daily carry is almost always SP-101 (with CT grips :) ) .. pretty much a J frame really but of course not exactly lightweight.  I normally carry belt slide OWB .. hi-ride ... and it suits me very well ... my draw is fast and useful.

However i have tried pocket now and again with that  .. weight is very evident as you'd expect but ... to me revo's are a problem simply cos of cyl bulge.  Not pocket for me with them.

The R9 is so essentially flat - that is it's big strength and tho heavier than say P-3AT ... is in the right rig very unprintworthy.  So for me ... no contest!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 01:15:47 AM »
R9SCarry......thanks for the thoughts and the welcome. This is off topic in a Rohrbaugh forum, but what do you think of CT grips. To me and my aging eyes they are fantastic. I can draw and hit target multiple times before gun reaches eye level. I am slowly buying them for several other handguns and cannot say enough good things about them. I do have them on Kimber ultra carry and sig 229. They are good on those guns , but they are truly outstanding on j frame revolver. Anyone who carries j frame should try them, you wont be sorry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 01:16:10 AM by jimacp »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 09:37:34 AM »
I agree with the value of the Crimson Trace grips on a small revolver -- they are fantastic.  I don't have a set for my current j-frame, but I will have a set again soon.  It just gives you a lot more options.  Suddenly your fixed iron sight gun has "adjustable night sights" so to speak!

CT grips would be a natural for the Rohrbaugh if they can make them that small/thin.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 12:49:59 PM »
Jim ..... there have been several threads over on THR about CT grips .... for the most part they are well spoken of.

Like you tho, and Duane .... I LOVE them!!  My first set went on the SP ... and I cannot speak highly enough of them.  I also have added them to a M629-6 and an M28-2 ... the latter I carry in winter at various times.

I still shoot as if ''irons only'' ... I won't change that habit as a primary method but .... as I am shooting, there is my red dot showing as well .. if I can see it and wish to use it.... which is sorta instinctive anyways I guess.

Last Saturday I was eating thru a box of 38 spl reloads .. for draw practice .... and despite cloudy/bright conditions .... I could still see the red dot on target ..... only 5 yards I admit.  I was finding tho that, as I drew and came up on target with irons (as well as almost ''point'' shooting) ... I did register the dot sufficient to get a confirmation of ''usefullness'' of the shot or shots.

Had it not been there, I'd not have been compromized one bit but - it was a ''plus'' ...... an adjunct, that made for better results.  I did 'draw and one' ..... 'draw and double-tap' ... and 'draw and all 5' ... all the time, that dot was just visible and I think aiding placement.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 02:33:02 PM »
Chris:
Ho do the CT grips effect perceived recoil in your S&W 629-6?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 02:39:41 PM »
[size=16]How do the CT grips effect perceived recoil in your S&W 629-6?[/size]

Mike - I find no obvious difference, when compared with std wood grips or the Hogues that were on originally.  I guess the CT plastic grips are just a tad ''harder'' and so do not seem to ''absorb'' recoil as much as perhaps the Hogues.  Minor point tho really for me.

With hot loads that gun is a tad punishing, eventually ... regardless of grips and certaining assessing the ''perceived'' recoil .. the only comment might be that the CT grips are a tad less comfortable with regard to the hand web .... too many rounds and you do know it!

Having said that - I consider they are still an excellent addition.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 03:38:36 AM »
Revolvers are my first love, and I do have a few!  ;)

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »
Same here, I learned to shoot originally on a S&W Model 19.  Carried one of the early 686's when I was a reserve Deputy with a local county.

I can often be found with this in my pocket (at least until the R9 shows up!)

--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 10:54:45 AM »
For you wheelgun lovers, here is a pic of my S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp that is on the way.  I managed to get one of only 40 in this renewed run.

Its a horserace to see which gets here first, the L-Comp or the R-9s!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 11:04:27 AM »
I'd imagine that is gonna be a real sweet shooter .. only reservation I'd have (purely personal) is the grips as shown ..... I think they'd be way too short for me.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:26 AM »
It also comes with a set of the regular L-Frame Hogue grips -- which will be better for shooting, but not as good for carry.

Duane (DDGator)