Author Topic: Any other fellow pilots on this site?  (Read 9127 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Any other fellow pilots on this site?
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:26:04 AM »
Just curious if anyone else on this site happens to be a pilot.

It's not too common to find guys into guns and planes, but this isn't the usual group of gun enthusiasts either.

I have grown to appreciate the minds of most of the guys on the site. I hope the site stays around for a long time whether or not the R9 is a production gun in the near future.

But enough of that, anyone fly airplanes out there?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline 72AV8R

Re: Any other fellow pilots on this site?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
I did for 37 years. Too old for the big stuff anymore.  Only a 3rd class medical after heart surgery so no instructing.
Just an occasional Cessna rental to take the grand kids for a ride. I agree with you about this forum, great bunch of folks.
I hope the new company gets their act together and starts production and warranty work on the best CCW made. Bought
a Seecamp .32 for my wife and found their forum another wealth of information.  I recognize a few screen names on both
sites.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
He will be too modest to post it, but our long-time member, "Tracker," is one of the finest carrier pilots the United States Navy ever produced. This was one of the birds, a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (initially dubbed "Heinemann's Hot Rod" after it's chief designer, Ed Heinemann) that he flew in harm's way.

"Tracker's" Navy service was followed by an equally distinguished career as a commercial airline captain.

As for myself, I used to do a little recreational flying "burning up the sky" at speeds sometimes approaching a breathtaking 90 mph (with a favorable tailwind) in a Cessna 150 Aerobat based at Godfrey Field in Leesburg, Virginia.

_____

I should hasten to edit this post by noting that I'm a Hell of a lot better sailor of sloop-rigged sailboats and driver of small English and Italian sports cars than I ever was a pilot of Cessna 150s - but at least I never "bent my bird."  8)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:09:10 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 72AV8R

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
One of my former EAL colleagues showed me a tee shirt that says, "The older I get, the better I used to Fly"!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »
I have heard that before and that is why I always use my press agent. Seriously, though, I have observed over the years that outstanding pilots never have to extol their virtues and they let their abilities, skill, and experience speak for itself. Additionally, one definition of a superior pilot is, "one who doesn't allow himself to be placed in situations where he must use his superior skills."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:57:53 PM by tracker »

Offline 72AV8R

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
Well said.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Another example of the value of situational awareness.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
Private, single engine, land.  Owned a Cessna 172 Skyhawk for a while.  Helping to run a family business and a wife and young family took a lot of time.  Have not flown pilot in command for close to 30 years.

As the saying goes...there are old pilots...and bold pilots...but no old bold pilots.

I salute those who have served our country.  Those who have flown off carriers I hold in total awe.

Craig T.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
Thanks for helping to keep the home of the free and the land of the brave safe Tracker. Quite an awesome bird 😑

I'm a 350-400 hr single engine pilot with a complex rating. I haven't flown much for the last 2 years with too much going on, but I finally spent some time getting safe and current again recently.

I am trying to figure out if I want to continue to fly or hang it up.

It seems like it is so expensive to fly and in the end you don't really get to save an incredible amount of time on the 200-300 mile trips I have tended to take over the past 7 years. I don't have the time to get much further than that away with a wife, 5 kids and a business to act like I'm running.

It's also pretty risky business flying only 3-5 or so hours per month (on a good month). I feel like I am constantly knocking the rust off.

For those of you who used to fly and decided to quit for reasons other than age or health, what motivated you and how did you reason through it?

I almost feel like it would be awesome to keep the option open with my oldest going away to college next year, and if I don't use my ticket then it's probably time to move on to another mountain to climb.

I just feel like a part of me would wither if I stopped flying. All work and no play makes josh a dull boy. Also there is a challenge in flying that Keeps you feeling alive and in the mix of some of the coolest technology out there.

In the end it's like I feel like I'm equipped to do some really cool things, but don't seem to have the time to really get out there and do much with it.

Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks fellas.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »

Your 5th sentence answers your question: flying 3-5 hrs a month is not enough to maintain proficiency if you have not flown as a professional pilot and/or completed a very extensive/intensive flight training program. Three landings every 90 days on top of 350-400 hrs TT will not do it; I suggest you find a new mountain to climb. The landscape is littered with single engine hobby pilots who are ill equipped to handle difficult situations.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »
Yeah you are probably right. Just hate to turn and walk away. I guess that beats the other alternatives though.

Anyone know of some other cool mountains to climb around on?

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »

K3 is quite cool and has some spring cancellations available for climbers.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
What is K3 Tracker? A quick google search was not the way to go on that one.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »

K3 is also known as Broad Peak and is about 5 miles from K2, its taller brother, between China and Pakistan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_Peak

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
I may be looking for a different mountain. LOL.

John Stuart Mill