Author Topic: What ammo do you use?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Southpaw

What ammo do you use?
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Recently purchased an r380 stealth and I absolutely LOVE it. Smoothest trigger pull I've ever felt, no kick to speak of, lightweight, easy to conceal and fantastic accuracy within personal defense range.

Anyways, I figured starting a thread discussing which ammunition everyone uses and why they use it would be a good thing to do... especially given the impossibility of finding .380 for sale anywhere (at least in South Florida).

To start: I use Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ ball. It has terrific penetration and feeds well. It also happens to be relatively easy to find down here, and I wont carry ammo unless I can train with it.

-Southpaw

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: What ammo do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
Southpaw.  Welcome to the Forum.  I have a .380 but haven't shot it yet, mainly due to the ammo shortage.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »
     southpaw, I just checked and they don't have anything. But for the last three months or so ammotogo.com has had .380 speer gold dots LE in stock for about 35 dollars per 50 rd box. You might do as I do and check the site every day or so. By the way , they have plenty of 115 gr GDs if you need any of those.    Gene
birdman

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
  And welcome to the best forum on the internet!!             Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Gene.  I've been looking for .380 Winchester Silvertips and haven't ever been able to find these.  This is definitely more scarce than hen's teeth.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:20:52 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »
   KJ, I'm not sure we'll ever see another .380 or 9mm silvertip. I've dug through the internet like I was scrounging for food and I have'nt found a thing. And really not much hope of ever finding them. I've just about given up on silvertips. Fortunately gold dots can still be had if you look hard enough. Better days a'comin (maybe).      Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
Gene.  There are 9mm Silvertips on Gunbroker but expensive and have to buy 10 boxes.  Then GunsAmerica has them for $29.95
and $35.00, old stock, an individual is selling these.

You could be right on the .380 Silvertips.  I can't find those at all.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:07:34 AM by kjtrains »

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
    Southpaw, Just checked and there are .380 Speer Gold Dots at ammotogo.com. $16.95 per 20 rd box. Not a terrible price nowadays.     Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »
Excellent price, indeed.  Just might have to get some of the Gold Dots.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
    On the subject of Silvertips, I've had a back order at Midway for .380 and 9mm STs for months with projected eta july 2010. Today I received an email from them changing that to 5/7/10. I really don't know if that's a good sign or not, but it's the first time they've changed from later to sooner instead of the other way around. I'll bet they knew may 7 is my birthday and just wanted to give me a present. Yeah sure     Gene
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:39:10 PM by birdman »
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
Well, let's hope so!  Best news I've heard on Silvertips.  Good luck on the birthday present!    :)       :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:19:33 PM by kjtrains »

Offline WyoShooter

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »
   On the subject of Silvertips, I've had a back order at Midway for .380 and 9mm STs for months with projected eta july 2010. Today I received an email from them changing that to 5/7/10. I really don't know if that's a good sign or not, but it's the first time they've changed from later to sooner instead of the other way around. I'll bet they knew may 7 is my birthday and just wanted to give me a present. Yeah sure     Gene
A poster name Steve on the Seecamp forum has been checking periodically with Winchester since last October about Silvertip production.  Finally he called Winchester again on Jan 26 and posted the follwing information:

AMMO UPDATE:  

I checked with Winchester this morning...  
THEY WILL BEGIN PRODUCTION ON THE SILVERTIPS ON APRIL 15!!!
She said they would start sooner if possible, but not likely...WOOHOO...FINALLY ON THE PRODUCTION SCHEDULE!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:19 AM »
WyoShooter.  Welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for that excellent information.  I've been trying to find out that very same thing.  Thanks again for the info.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
    WyoShooter, Welcome to the best forum on the internet! What part of Wyoming are you from? I was at Rock Springs for almost three years in the mid '70s, loved it there. Again welcome.    Gene
birdman