Author Topic: Removing Tobacco Smoke Smell From A Pocket Holster?  (Read 5165 times)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
Removing Tobacco Smoke Smell From A Pocket Holster?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
Do you guys have any proven methods for removing a light smoke smell from a leather holster?

My gut feeling tells me to take it to a dry cleaner or someone experienced in properly cleaning and treating leather, but at the same time if there is a simple home remedy that would work I'd be up for that,

I've googled and done a bunch of reading and found a variety of suggestions, but at this point I'm looking to the membership here to see if anyone has any first hand experience with removing smoke smells from leather.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:05:40 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Removing Tobacco Smoke Smell From A Pocket Holster?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Fabreeze has a number of products that may attenuate the odor. I've used some of their line for room deodorizing and freshening, etc.. Also, I have found that baking soda is a good deodorizer. I haven't tried it on a holster so I don't know if it would damage the leather's finish or not.

Have you tried to contact the holster maker? They might have some ideas.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:01:11 PM by tracker »

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »
Funny you should mention febreeze, as right now I have it in a plastic bag with a few paper towels that were saturated with febreeze.  Among other ideas were trying to find someone with an ozone machine, and another was leaving it outside (under cover) for a period of time.

Good thought on contacting the holster maker..

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:30:32 PM »
You might try rubbing the inside of the holster down with frog-lube. I used it on one of mine because it had a little more grab than I wanted.  It would for sure mask the smell with a minty fresh mint.  Did I mention minty? 
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:24:34 AM »
When I've come home after spending overnights with smoking relatives. To get that nasty smell out of my luggage and jackets, I have found nothing better than direct outdoor sunlight.  Sometimes it takes multiple days!

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
Holster maker had the following advice - "I don't know of anything you could apply.  I would seal it up in a large zip lock type bag with a non-liquid neutralizer, potpourri, cedar shavings, other fragrance or an open box of baking soda.  Make sure the holster is not touching the item.  Try that for a couple of days and let me know how that works out."

I presently have it in a zip lock bag with some dryer sheets...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
I would recommend cleaning the holster thoroughly, inside and out, with Ballistol and then applying a coat of Renaissance Wax, again inside and out.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Yoda117

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
I know that this is a bit of a necropost, but I ran into this same problem a while back (holster was borrowed by a parent and left at their house; mom is a chain smoker).  Long story short, I had a pair of Galco holsters and a Desantis holster that smelled to high holy heck.

Cleaned them off as best able, which took care of some of the smell.  Used Febreeze (be careful with this stuff since it has the potential to color/damage the leather), and then I put the things in a medium sized tote with a generous helping of baking soda (I did not have the baking soda touch the holsters; holsters were on a separate pad).  I checked them at the end of the week and a good portion of the smell was gone; gave it another two weeks and afterwards I just let them sit outside for a bit.  No issues any more.

Yeah it's a bit complicated and time consuming, but tobacco smoke is a devil to get rid of.