Author Topic: Future of the Forum  (Read 17397 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Future of the Forum
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
I think that we should all share in the cost of running this forum & volunteer our services when needed to help Duane. I'm not crazy of the Seecamp idea. I am crazy about my Seecamp .32 though.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
I am certainly not a computer guy by any means, but I also am not a fan of combining with any other forums. What you folks have done here from the early days with Duane is a one-off forum for a one-off pistol. I would think that some of you computer guys could help out with whatever it is that's needed to sustain the forum for the end-users and enthusiasts of the marque. I can't do it, I am computer illiterate. I believe we have through the years asked for donations to cover the costs of the domain, etc., and you all have stepped up with funds to make that happen. After that, whatever is required to keep it running smooth and spam free would need for someone to step up and take the reigns of the horse and lead it on. I can drive a car and a motorcycle. . . . . but, unfortunately, not a webpage forum.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 09:32:56 PM »
Seems like this is an old thread that someone randomly brought back to life after it sat for over a year.  I don't think there have been any recent discussions about the forum shutting down or moving.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
Hey guys -- yes, this is a rejuvenated old post. 

That being said, I should check in with TechGuy to make sure we are not too much of a burden on him.  I like to send him some cash from time to time as a token of our appreciation for hosting our forum on his servers.

The domain name renewal is coming due in May and is $15 per year. 

Other than that, things seem to be fine.  The problem may come if we ever have to move servers or upgrade forum software or whatever. 

-Duane

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »
The Forum would be more likely to stay active if we accepted new members.  I’ve heard this complain before:
(From another forum):

Guns, Knives, and
Liquor

Re: Remington Outdoors Bankruptcy
Reply #44 - Yesterday at 10:34pm Quote  Quote from Holiday009 on Yesterday at 10:29pm:
Have you checked over on the Rohrbaugh forum .

I've been trying to get enrolled over there for months upon months.  But I have never gotten a response from an administrator.  The last time my application expired was just a few months ago, whereupon I immediately applied again.  And still nothing.  Maddening.....

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »
That's not good backup.   Looks like we could use a computer geek to handle that situation?   

As I mentioned before. . . . . . I'm lucky I can respond to emails!   lol.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
There was a problem with Russian hackers a while back. So maybe Duane cracked down on new members.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »

We were being overrun with spam members a while back, so I shut down the process.  Now you have to email me to request approval of your membership.

I suppose that an occasional email may get lost in the shuffle.  Most people get approved same day.

I find that a lot of the folks who complain they can't get approved are not following the instructions to send me an email.

We sometimes get 20+ spam membership applications in a day.  Right now I haven't deleted them in a little bit and I have 555 requests awaiting approval.  I can't investigate them all -- this is the only system I can think of.

-Duane
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com