Author Topic: NEWBIE'S FIRST RANGE REPORT  POSITIVE?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
NEWBIE'S FIRST RANGE REPORT  POSITIVE?
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:34:11 AM »
Guys - I just picked up my R9S, black frame, stainless slide 10 days ago and just got a chance to test it yesterday.
But first, let me say that I was reading a few posts during the week about how recoil is "snappy" and how many of you have problems with failures to feed and/or to eject, or even how picky the pup can be about its diet.
So - I was a little apprehensive now, begining to wonder if my $1000 gun was going to spend more time in the shop than at the range or in my pocket.    And if recoil was going to "sting".
Well, no real worries!  Recoil - no big deal, doesn't seem any different from my Kel-Tec 380 ( even though I haven't shot it in a year).     It ate everything - up to a point.  The first mag of 5 was just a mix of different HP ammo I grabbed and loaded.  The second mag was 5 roundball.  The third mag of 5 was 147gr Federal Hydra Shock. The Fourth mag was 5 silvertips.   Then I loaded 5 of Winchester 115gr Hp and the trigger locked up.  The trigger would only travel about 3/8 of an inch.  I was not going to force it.  I pulled out the mag and cleared the chamber.  I remembered from DDGATOR's factory tour photos that the right grip panel hold some parts in place. Sure enough, the right front grip screw was very loose on the right grip panel. So I figured a trigger bar was out of place.  I packed up and called it a day, since I had no metric allen wrenches with me.

When I got home, the right front screw had come loose by 1 1/2 full turns and the others by 1/2 or more.   Needles to say I was surprised.
But on the other hand, I am very happy how the gun did fire all ammo and was not picky --  oh yea, 2 other minor problems - twice, primers failed to fire on the first strike, but did fire on the second attempt.  Positive note for a true double action.   On the other hand - I might need a heavier main spring-  I must admit I have an awful sweet and light trigger pull for a double-action pistol.  
Has anybody else had to change out the Main spring?

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline rooster

Re: NEWBIE'S FIRST RANGE REPORT  POSITIVE?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
Glad to hear your positive posts about your new pistol.  When I got mine I also had several failures to fire.  I removed the firirng pin stop and removed the firing pin and spring and then cleaned out that channel, put a light coat of lube on all the parts and my problem went away.  I know have over 300 rnds through it without a problem.  I don't think your mainspring is the problem.  It should be heavy enough to fire a primer.  It is a pretty heavy spring already.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
Thanks Rooster!, I'll definitely, do that before I return to the range.  I need it 100% before I start packing it.  I bought it as my primary carry piece, not as a plaything.
Being in East TX, I might wear a coat 2-4 days a year, a jacket  just days scattered about might add up to 2-3 weeks- so a pocket pistol works best for me.
I just ordered a pocket holster and mag holder from one of our online venders - boy it was a hard decision!  We have some good supporters among us to choose from.

Reinz

Offline rooster

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:58:30 AM »
Firing on the second hit is an indication of a high primer.  The first hit seated the primer and the second fired it.  The inertia of the firing pin is used up by the seating of the primer during the first hit.  This usually happens when reloading but can happen with factory ammo.  Also I don't beleive the allen screw is metric, IIRC it is a 1/16" allen wrench, and get a good one because if it fits loose you will ruin the screw and then you will not be able to get it out of the frame.  Call Rohrbaugh and get some extras and change them every so often to avoid any problems.  I had a different problem with mine.  My left side grip screws were so tight that I could not remove them, I finally got one off but I ruined the other and now cannot get that grip off.  I bought a tap and drill just in case but am afraid to try fearing ruining the frame.  I see no reason to ever remove the left side so for now I am leaving it alone.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »
Reinz:

Thanks for the report.  It sounds as if your "pup" is going to settle into full reliability.

Rooster:

I know what you mean about the hazard involved in removing a damaged R9 grip screw.  I had one which I finally talked myself into taking on with a small damaged-screw remover in a power drill set on slow reverse.  I was lucky.  The screw came out with no damage to the frame or the CF grip panel, but I hope never to have to try that again.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »
Firing on the second hit is an indication of a high primer.  The first hit seated the primer and the second fired it.  
Another plus in having a double strike capability that is found on the R9 but lacking on the Kahrs, Glocks, etc.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
Rooster - that is good information about the primers.  I have shot in various disciplines of competition.  I reload  as well and have experienced such with high primers.

As far as the factory misfires go, keep in mind that there were two.  Each one out of a different mag.  Since I was doing a fucntion test each mag had different ammo.  Thus, the ammo was a different lot and/or different manufacturer.  So the odds of two factory high primers are pretty slim.

I think my best bet is to do what you said in an earlier post and clean/deburr the firing pin channel.   Haven't had a chance to do it yet,  had  a match this last weekend.

Thanks

Reinz

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Rooster - Thanks for the heads up on the allen wrench.  I will make sure I get a good quality one like a "craftsman".  Unless you recommend a better one?

I wonder if the factory has changed things up a bit as far as the grip screws.  My box had a note in it  that said my grip screws were metric.  And that once the factory received my warranty card they would mail me standard grip screws.

I assume a metric wrench as well?
My serial # is R16xx

Thanks

Reinz

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »
As to the issue of metric Allen wrenches there was a
very small batch of guns sent with the metric screws to
avoid shipping delays. This small batch was sent with a
note stipulating that the screws were metric.
All other Rohrbaughs have the 1/16 " screws. If you
didn't see a note they are not metric.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »
Tracker - thanks for the update.  That makes sense.  I was thinking that maybe they were having problems with owners not sending in their warranty cards and that was a way to coerce them.   Good to know  that is not the reason.

My warranty card  even  had a note jotted in the corner  I guess to remind them that mine was out of the norm.  The note just said "1.5 mm".  Obviously stating the grip screw size on my gun.

Thanks

Reinz

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
You are welcome, Reinz; even though I didn't feel it
necessary to remove the right grip for cleaning, etc,,
I was going to remove the grip to inspect the area.
I talked to Maria and she confirmed with Karl that grip
removal is not necessary in the disassembly/cleaning/
lubing process.
I know this is contoversial in the forum but I am just
passing along for what it is worth. Some of the posts I
have read indicates more problems are caused than are
solved by grip removal.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 05:19:39 AM »
I definitely agree with that as far as most guns with exposed internals withe grip panel removed.  I ususaly try to stay away from that mess.  Like on a S&W 41,  if someone has not warned you, when you remove one of the panels -- zzzooomm,  a tiny spring just shot off into the never to be found crevices of my garage.  Never saw it coming,.... or going.

Reinz