Author Topic: If It Hiccups Get The Springs  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
If It Hiccups Get The Springs
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:05 PM »
After I had several double feeds may last time out at the range I ordered and recieved the heavy duty mag springs.  Put them in and took my gun to the range today.  I shot 60 rounds of Blazer 115 fmj gn. and 20 rds of Gold Dot 115 hp grn.  No problems.  Pulling back the slide to chamber a round with the new mag springs installed requires some grit, but it has made all the difference in making it 100% reliable.  I set up about 15 ft from the target and did some quick double taps with the GD's.  I was able to keep 11/12 rds in the torso of a B27E target.  The one round went low into the right hip area.  I was very pleased with it's handling.  I know  ::)I said I would only feed it premium food, but I figured if it fed proper on the Blazers, it would feed proper on the GD's.  Hiccups cured........

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
Re: If It Hiccups Get The Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
........And when I cleaned it later that eve.  I installed a new recoil spring that I also had ordered.  Man what a b@#*h to install!  I finally got it in by using half a wooden clothes pin to block the recoil cap and pulled it out when I had it installed in the slide.  Just curious but this new recoil spring was a whole lot harder to compress than the actual one that came with the gun.......but I also had shot my R9 before first cleaning too.  While this harder spring was shiney and new...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:26:25 PM »
HK:

Have you seen the link to Steve Bedair's R9 tools?  If not, this may be of interest:

http://bedair.org/Rohr/Rohrbaugh.html

RJ also made some special tools for managing the R9 recoil spring, but I think he may have sold them all by now. However, BillinPittsburgh posted a notice of one for sale in the Forum's Classified section last night.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I sent Bill a PM about the take down tool.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I sent Bill a PM about the take down tool.
Does he sell them, or did he just give us instructions on how to build our own?

Offline marvin

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:43:18 PM »
Harrydog

Steve gives instructions on how to build his tools and I also think he'll sell them to. They were pretty easy to build,just took time getting the materials from the hardware store.

jeff

Offline sebis

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:49:12 AM »
After I had several double feeds may last time out at the range I ordered and recieved the heavy duty mag springs.  Put them in and took my gun to the range today.  I shot 60 rounds of Blazer 115 fmj gn. and 20 rds of Gold Dot 115 hp grn.  No problems.  Pulling back the slide to chamber a round with the new mag springs installed requires some grit, but it has made all the difference in making it 100% reliable.  I set up about 15 ft from the target and did some quick double taps with the GD's.  I was able to keep 11/12 rds in the torso of a B27E target.  The one round went low into the right hip area.  I was very pleased with it's handling.  I know  ::)I said I would only feed it premium food, but I figured if it fed proper on the Blazers, it would feed proper on the GD's.  Hiccups cured........

+1 on this. My R9 would hiccup with pretty much anything except silver tips. I got the new magazine springs and new recoil springs and took it to the range this weekend. I didn't enjoy the recoil that morning so I kept it under 20 rounds including some 115 gr American Eagle FMJ, no hiccups. I have to prepare for the next trip with more choices of ammo, thus reserve final judgement but this new springs could be the missing link in making the R9 a 100% reliable gun.

--Sebis