Author Topic: SIG 226 ST - first thoughts  (Read 6086 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
SIG 226 ST - first thoughts
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:00:41 PM »
Have not had too much to post recently re my R9 but seeing as we have been a tad quiet of late thought I'd post this as an ''interest'' item.

After quite a bit of deliberation, set my sights on a new SIG 226ST - my first SIG in fact.  I wanted it for IDPA and, as a possible carry piece.  My BHP did just fine last year for IDPA but - have been lusting for a better DA/SA than my P series Rugers.  More a case of ''want'' than ''need'' LOL.

This gun feels just dandy - factory grips are superb - well, for me!  I have a set of CT grips coming and will hope the feel does not change too much.  First sets of rounds fired were faultless and the trigger tho new, feels well acceptable.  Not light but well smooth enough for a new gun, and accuracy out the box is all but spot on.  It is I have found out SAAMI spec'd such that it will digest +P - which is good as I have a container of approx 1,000 Gold Dots in +P ... no good for R9 of course!

It is a fairly heavy gun - as you'd expect but to be honest, weight does not phase me - never has .. I am not a fan of super light guns at all.  I got this with the SIG night sights ... they are not Tritiums - just Trijicons but - nice dots and even for my tired old eyes, a sight picture shows quite useably.  That I hope will aid my IDPA shooting.

Factory mags suck!  Not for function but capacity .. just 10.  I have bought some cheapo ''Eagle'' mags thru CDNN ... not being sure if they were gonna be remotely useful and even a waste of money - those are 17 rounders.  Predictably they were not all that inspiring but - I set to and modified the engagement slot so as to enable correct lock up on insertion .... initially they were shy of lock up without a hefty smack!

I also added some extra chamfer to top right and stoned to smooth - to make sure on insertion they did not snag on the mag catch on way thru... one did initially.

Cycling thru these with dummy rounds suggests feed is fine - the acid test will be soon when I get to range and fire off a lot of test rounds.  I want the 17 rounders for IDPA .. mainly cos stuffing the full 10 in factory mags is hard work!  10 in the 17's however is a tad easier.... and if reliable then they will be good for carry too.

So - there we are - hoping for a good IDPA season and once fully proven, this gun will become another winter carry option.  Summer will be SP-101 again and R9 as bug or even primary when needed.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 11:05:27 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: SIG 226 ST - first thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 09:51:31 AM »
I really like Sigs, but I have never owned one. I know so many people that own Sigs and Glocks, I was able to shoot Glocks for more than a decade, before I actually broke down and bought two.

I like the 357 Sig cartridge.

I like the way Sigs feel in my hand.

But I still seem to drift to Glocks, and I don't know why.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
I like SIGs as well but every time I go in to buy one, I walk out with another S&W  ::)

That stainless 226 DOES look nice. Any info as to when the 229 is going to be coming out in stainless? I think that is what is going to finally push me over the line to buy one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 02:10:08 PM by Fud »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:49:19 PM »
229 in ST?  No idea as yet - tho I daresay a search and/or trip to SIG site might yield some info.  Doubt I dare even research that yet!  

Certainly would like a 220!

You and Smiths - haha - been guilty too.  I have a pretty nice M19-3 coming soon ...  ::) :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:28:59 AM »
Nothing on their website about a stainless 229. They do have a fancy sport version of the 229 in stainless but that model isn't really for concealed carry.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 07:29:24 AM by Fud »

Offline kerrynp5

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »
I picked up my Sig 226 ST w/ Crimson Trace grips last Thursday. After 15 minutes on the range the CT grips clover leafed the bullets on the X at 21 feet ALL FIRING FROM THE HIP!
I have 3 - 15 rd mags with the weapon and ordered 3 - Sig 20 rd mags from Sig. $73 per, but if law enforcement $43 per
Note: Magar mags ( high quality) makes an 18 rd mag for $26
I have other Sigs and they are all the highest quality for the buck.                           Kerry

Offline MoW

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »
Here ya go Fudster:http://www.sigarms.com/products/classiccompactsize-models.asp?product_id=230

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »
Kerry, no new pic yet but got my CT grips recently and have em fitted on 226.  I have yet to check for sighting but looks like at 21' the irons and spot are dead on so - doubt it'll need tweaking.  This is my fourth set of CT's ... the first for semi.  I love em!! :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline kerrynp5

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 02:58:13 PM »
My second set- great quality

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 03:17:13 PM »
R9SCarry,  This might be old news by now;but you should be able to order and get factory high capacity mags now.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 03:37:12 PM »
Thx Tom ... yep, was aware.  I did recently get some ''Eagle'' cheapo's from CDNN ... just for IDPA.  The 17 rounders.  Another guy uses them for same and after ''tweaking'', which I have already done, finds them actually very reliable.

If longer term they behave with full reliability then they might serve for carry ... tho I'd like to still find some better qual' ones for that.

Can't usually get anything good with cheapie mags but these Eagles seem halfways acceptable, certainly for practice work.  We'll see how they shape up.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 04:29:49 PM »
Chris, You can't get any better than Sig factory mags, which are now available to everyone.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus