Author Topic: Glock 26 or Beretta 86 in .380...?...  (Read 7553 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Glock 26 or Beretta 86 in .380...?...
« on: January 31, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »
>>For a while now I have toyed with the idea of picking up a Glock 26 / 9mm...I have several other Glocks (#'s 17, 26, and 30) and I love them all for what they are...industructable accurate guns.  The last time that urge hit I ended up taking home a Springfield XD-9 instead.  Now I'm having the G 26 urge again...

I currently have a nice Beretta model 86 / .380. which I am considering swapping for a G26 with a bit of cash.  I guess I'm looking for input from both G26 and Beretta 86 owners as to how they feel about their respective guns....?...I know they are completely different guns - so the question is how do you like your respective guns for what they are...??  

I originally picked up the Beretta for my wife and our youngest son to shoot.  Neither of them took to it and did with other guns...but I have a handful of other .380s which I like more.  

Thanks for your valued inpujt...!...TW<<

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Glock 26 or Beretta 86 in .380...?...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 07:06:27 PM »
Starting with my own personal bias:  if legal or economic circumstances ever limited me to one gun, it would be my Glock 26.  It is the standard in size efficiency by which all other guns should be judged, and the accuracy and ease of shooting compares to (and sometimes exceeds) that of full-sized guns.  Holster and accessory availability are among the highest for any gun.

The Beretta .380 is big and bulky for a .380.  It has been touted as an excellent choice for those with weak hands, with the tip-up barrel and (if I understand correctly) the ability to safely carry it with the hammer down, or with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety on safe.  Unless this is an issue for your wife or son, I doubt this gun would be the best choice.

The larger Glock 19 has been called an excellent choice for ladies due to the easy trigger pull and relatively easy slide manipulation.  The grip is big enough to get 3 fingers on it, and this helps.  The next Glock I buy will either be a 19 or a 32.  Maybe this size Glock is worth considering?

It looks like a lot of this will depend on what your wife and son like, so ask them what they think.  Find our their likes and dislikes, and find out why they like or don't like what they do.  Look for patterns.  This will better enable you to make your choice.

If they like the G26, then you probably want more than one.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:19:57 AM »
I've got the Browning BDA380 -- production twin of the 86 (the BDA is made by Beretta for Browning) and I wouldn't trade it for a Glock. If you want a more serious caliber, trade it for another Beretta, such as the 92 Compact ...

... it also holds 13 rounds just like the 86 but in 9mm instead of .380ACP.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »
>>Well...I went ahead and made a swap involving my Beretta 86 for a new Glock 26...thanks for the input, guys.  Now I would be interested in learning of any good places for G 26 accessories...holsters, mags, triggers, etc...??  Thanks...!!

BTW, Fudster...I realize my Beretta 86 was a cool gun, and no longer made - but it was no longer being used / appreciated by anyone in the family.  It had a single stack mag which held something like seven rounds.  I thought about swapping for another Beretta, but I have several others including a sweet model 92.  So today was a Glock day...had several of those also...and decided to add to that family...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:03:55 AM »
Congrats on the G-26...

I have always enjoyed mine..Reliable,concealable,accurate..

I do mine IWB, and with the R9 in the pocket-I feel complete.. 8)

GT has a variety of deals at times for accessories..

I just put some + 2 Glock extensions on my mags and now I can do 13,with 1 chambered..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
>>Hi Brenden...

What kind of Glock ententions give you +2...?...and do you need to replace the mag spring for this to work...?...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 01:22:18 PM »
>>Hi Brenden...

What kind of Glock ententions give you +2...?...and do you need to replace the mag spring for this to work...?...TW<<

TW,
    They are the Glock 7151 Extension with the 7165 insert..
I have not had a problem with feeding and use the original springs..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 02:39:34 PM »
>>Thanks, Brenden...!  I may be hounding you again about where to buy if I can't locate them...TW<<

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 04:32:13 PM »
I have three magazines with Pearce +2 extensions for my wife to use when she shoots the gun, so that she can have a full 2-finger grip.  I don't use them for carry because I can't get them off for cleaning the magazines without damaging them.

Just to be safe, if I was keeping the magazines loaded with these extensions, I'd get Wolff +10% extra power springs.  Strangely but fortunately for this application, the same spring is used in both Glock 19 and Glock 26 magazines.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.