Author Topic: New member. First time out at range.  (Read 6299 times)

OCD

New member. First time out at range.
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »
I posted this over on another thread as did not know this area was here. So it's actually a duplicate. :)

Well went to the outside range today. The weather was great but due to the Holiday and all the "snow birds" are down the range was pretty crowded. Kinda hard to concentrate when folks are firing big bore magnums or seeing how much ammo they can waste going rapid fire.  

Anyway, I shot 100 rounds combined of WWB, Mag Tech  FMC and Rem UMC JHP which I had.

No failures except 2 of the Rem JHP would not chamber the first round, re racked the slide and then fine.

Also, on maybe 3 or 4 occasions, the mag dropped out as the magazine release was not clipped in the little notch. After the first time I made sure it was locked in there but it still happened a few times? I can not figure out why? If the bottom of my hand was contacting it I would think it would push it forward not back to release?? Very strange. This happen to anyone else?

Overall, very impressed with this pistol.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:06:11 PM by OCD »

Offline ryone

Re: New member. First time out at range.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:01:03 PM »
Sorry I haven't been back to the forum in some time.
Yes I had the same problem along with a cartrige jam with my R9s the first time out. Its a new release with the upgrades. Nobody commented on this specific problem. I understand these HG's can be a little picky about ammo. I was using some Hydrashocks and some cheaper stuff and figured that might be the problem but don't know because I haven't fired it since.  Also I really don't know enough to understand why ammo would cause a mag release problem, if this is the cause This didn't happen with WSTip's but that could be a coincidence. I have been told the suggested ammo for range work is Win White Box.  Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Offline mdfili

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »
The mag release is a well known problem for these guns, so I have come to learn. Mine does everything wrong except that!?

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »
After reading most of the posted threads, I guess I missed the part about "the mag release being a well known problem"..... ???

Real glad to see you're still hangin' around doggin' the Rohrbaugh's....I'm sure that'll help make you feel better about yours though.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:16:18 PM by Dawkind »
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »
The mag release is a well known problem for these guns, so I have come to learn. Mine does everything wrong except that!?

Well at least you didn't have issues with that!

What is R9's serial number?  I'd love to see a photo of it on the Sunday times with the date showing.  ;)

Hope yours get up and running soon so that you can enjoy the safety it provides.

Good day.

Online DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
The mag release is certainly not a "known problem" with the R-9.  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline mcop511

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
ONE of the reasons I replaced my beloved Kahr PM9 with the R9 was that the PM kept releasing its magazine when carried in my front pocket holster, even after replacing the mag catch with Kahr's improved mag catch. The R9 has never had a problem, either when carried or when fired. VERY positive mag lockup, which I appreciate.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
not one of my customers has ever had a mag release problem, I have well over a 100 customers.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ryone

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
not one of my customers has ever had a mag release problem, I have well over a 100 customers.  Tom

With so many good reports, I'm not surprised, but it has happened to at least a couple of us. Short of interfering with the release during firing do you have any idea what might cause this? I was pretty careful of my grip after the first time it happened but it did happen again a couple more times. The jam I experienced could have been due to not using the recommended WWB, but I am puzzeled about the mag thing. Overall I was pleased with the acuracy and recoil using WSTips. Very nice gun, just having this one problem. I haven't been back to the range to try using just WWB so I am curious to hear of others who have had this happen if this repeated at their second trial.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
ryone, welcome to the forum. Re: mag release check to make sure the base plate of the mag is oriented correctly. It can slide if pushed hard enough. If the mag release is locking into the groove  on the base plate and it is still releasing I would call Rohrbaugh and I'm sure they will fix it.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER