Author Topic: Always keep R9S in holster  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Always keep R9S in holster
« on: August 11, 2005, 06:44:56 PM »
During my early training in firearms, many years ago,  we were taught to never store handguns in the holster.  When the gun came home, it should be removed from the leather holster.

I have decided to abandon that rule, except for long-term storage in a safe.

My R9S resides in the night stand.  I think there is an additional level of security if the trigger is safely covered by the leather holster.

Do you tend to "always" keep the R9S in your holster?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Always keep R9S in holster
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 06:48:57 PM »
I keep my R9s in its holster at night.  I wipe it down almost every day with a silicone cloth, so I am not concerned about keeping it holstered.  For long-term storage in the gun safe, of course, I remove a handgun from its holster.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 09:54:17 PM »
Mine spends most of its time in the holster, unless it is in my safe (either the big one or the small quick access safe).  I see no reason the holster would create a problem unless it was retaining some moisture and keeping it against the gun.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »
I was taught to take the gun out of the holster when storing it.  Seems sensible for a carry gun as leather can absorb moisture.  I guess that dosen't apply to the synthetic holsters.

Also, I like to switch off holsters if I have more than one for a particular gun.....heck I have accumulated a whole box of holsters!  

Isn't it a good idea to check the status of the chamber whenever you pick up a weapon?  If it's holstered, it is pretty easy to just put it in your pocket.

What does our resident holster wizard, RJ Hedley think?

Just my humble opinion.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:39:28 PM »
The holster is my "loaded gun" indicator.  When gun is holstered, It's loaded,  but this is just me.
RJ=

Offline David_Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 02:23:21 PM »
I always keep my guns in holsers of course they are kydex holsters ;D
www.buybrownholsters.com
azgunnut@earthlink.net
making quality kydex products since 1999

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 07:28:33 PM »
I keep my carry gun in the holster.If I "trade" off guns I will take it out of the holster and safe it..

Now, pocket holsters I keep the R9 in the holster and pretty much it stays in the pocket of whatever pants I am wearing or going to wear..I have a "bed side" pistola readily available otherwise.. ;)

I too regard my holster as my indicator of "loaded" for myself-if its in the leather,its ready to rock.. :)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Tse_Gee_La

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:23:23 AM »
I too have used a holster as a loaded chamber indicator.  As soon as I load a gun it goes in a holster.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 05:15:18 PM »
When I went to church this morning, where we cannot carry,  I put the R9S inside my LifeJacket and locked it.

A child could not get in there.  I guess a bad person could  pick it up and take off.

I hope the  legal system  looks favorably on the LifeJacket for quick storage.

When we are away for any length of  time, I just lock unused pistols in an ordinary safe.  The AR-15 is broken into two pieces, and locked up inside a Craftsman tool box.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 11:13:38 PM »
I remember being told to allow at least 24 hours between wearing shoes, so that they could dry out -- makes the shoe last much longer, and healthier for your feet -- would this be true of holsters as well, or do you think they dry out enough at night? -- I usually take the pup out if I notice the holster is damp from work.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 06:07:55 PM »
Aglifter, I've been fortunate about not having damp holsters.

I was surprised to learn that Milt Sparks holster always have horsehide against the body, even if it is a cowhide holster.

Apparently, horsehide is more resistant to moisture.

By the way, the inside front cover of Guns Magazine,  November 2005, shows a guy carrying the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

It looked suitable to be around big game in Africa.

Bill

Offline mefly2

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 10:28:20 PM »
Unless technology has changed the process, salts used in the tanning process tended to wreak havok with blued pistols ... not sure how it might affect stainless or anodizing.  I seem to recall highway patrol officers that had some discoloration on the anodized aluminum framed 9mm autos ... but those were likely the same officers that had green brass rings on the cartridges on their duty gear cartrige loops (little or no maintenance).  Let me know if I need to be concerned about corrosion from the leather on the R9 series, please.
mefly2
   ;)

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 11:54:09 PM »
Most modern leathersmiths, or at least the better ones, use vegetable tanned cowhide (steerhide, actually).

In elder days, cheap holsters were made from chrome-tanned leather, which left salts in the hide, and these would react with the blueing on guns if exposed to moisture.

None of the holsters obtained from Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti, Ken Null, Milt Sparks Leather, or any other "custom" maker you can readily name will have this problem, as they all use vegetable-tanned leathers.

Guns neglected and left in these holsters can still rust, just as they might if exposed to moisture when not left in holsters, and of course the holster leather can hold moisture next to the gun at points of contact, but I've personally left guns holstered in leather holsters for months at a time in a low-humidity environment (inside my safe) with nary a spot of rust appearing.
YMMV, etc.
Humani nihil alienum