Author Topic: Another Holster Option  (Read 6386 times)

Offline Bill_in_TX

Another Holster Option
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
Over the weekend I received the R9s holster that I'd orderd from C. Rusty Sherrick about 10 weeks ago.  Sherrick has the casting for the R9 and can make just about any of his holsters with it, although he'll probably steer you away from his IWB (he doesn't think the pistol is big enough for them).

Here's a picture holding the gun and mounted on the wilderness belt that I normally use:

This is his modified US High Ride in natural horsehide (like all his gear). It definitely lives up to the high ride name, as only the last 1/8 inch of the slide falls below the bottom of the belt.  That's perfect for the my normal golf shirt attire.

I had him make in tan because that blends  better with the light clothing that I normally wear here in Houston.  I also had him add a cant so that it would conform with my other carry gear and put on a sweat shiled to protect the pistol from me in this climate.

To add more camoflage I'll probably add some light colored grips at some point -- most likely the tan ones from IDM once I get over the irritation of a website that won't let you browse the products without registering first (are you listening Bryce?).

Sherrick's products can be seen here:

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/home.html

I have no affiliation with him.  In fact, this is my first holster from him, mostly because he had the casting.

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Another Holster Option
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »

How do you guys and gals do it?

High rise.  It sure is.  If I tried to wear that I would be spotted in a New York minute.

Since I have to carry conceiled, I prefer to actually hide my gun as in it is difficult to tell I have one.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Bill_in_TX

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »
I can pretty much guarantee that, if you encountered me on the street here in my normal golf shirt and khaki shorts, you'd never know I was carrying this (except possibly for the black grips printing a bit if I was in a really light colored shirt).  This holster tucks right into my side and disappears.

Maybe you wear your shirts tighter than I, or just have a different build that's no conducive to a high ride.  Because of the heat and humidity here in Houston I wouldn't wear a tight shirt with or without a weapon.  It's just too uncomfortable.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »
The other wisdom of carrying a gun in a holster is to protect oneself
from his or her own trigger finger. That concept has not only been
mentioned on this forum but many other places.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »

Tracker,

I didn't  quite get what you were trying to say.  Could you please put it in plain straightforward english so that everyone else can understand it.

Maybe I am not 'getting' what you are saying, butt:  in my understanding of what you are trying to say, I believe that just maybe 'holsters' are for people who should not be handling a gun in the first place are for.

You are so clever.  You are so clever that you outwit yourself.

Please say it simple and slow so all us simpeltons can understand it.

No, that is wrong.  Be more direct or go away.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:17 AM »
If you cover the trigger guard with the holster you are less likely to
have an accidental discharge. Perhaps some one in law enforcement
can put it in more understandable terms.

Offline Bill_in_TX

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »
Uhhhhh, I don't think anyone was debating the wisdom of a holster.  Rather, I believe, the comment was aimed more at high ride versus low ride (or IWB, or pocket).

As I said above, for my build this holster just tucks right into my side and disappears.  For me, the advantage over the low ride or IWB is that it offers clean, unobstructed access to the grip. That's very important because (a) it's hiding under a golf shirt so I've got to use one hand to clear the shirt tail and (b) the grip is so small I need all the help I can get.

Interestingly, the grip ends up not very differently from where it is when I'm carrying my Sig P239 in an IWB.  That's an important serendipitous results because it means no muscle memory retraining or hesitation when I reach for it.

I also have a pocket holster, but use that mostly when I'm out working around the house, etc.  I don't find the weapon access all that great in the pocket holster (maybe I need pants with bigger pocket slots, but I can't get  a decent grip until the weapon is out).

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »
Good point ,Bill, but apparently Mike modified his post that he carried
one in his belt and one on his ankle; that was my reference frame
to the holster non-issue.

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:50:04 PM »
If you cover the trigger guard with the holster you are less likely to
have an accidental discharge. Perhaps some one in law enforcement
can put it in more understandable terms.

I think you meant to say negligent discharge rather than accidental.  The gun would not accidentally fire if in a holster, on the shelf or in the closet.  If it fired then a finger pulled the trigger and if it was not intended than it was a negligent discharge and not an accidental one.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks for the refinement, Jack; except to say that there are auto
accidents without an element of negligence. I could also add
"an unintended discharge" to the discussion, but we are all in
accord with the objective of firearm safety, I think.  Bill's high ride
holster would certainly fill that one in spades.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:34:08 AM by tracker »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

Tracker and all,

Upon reread, my last post came across as, well just plain bad and may read as, well it is just bad.  Anyway, disregard it and I apologize if it reads as offensive.

It is not hazardous to carry a gun with no holster as long as one knows what they are doing.  The DAO trigger of the R9 makes it practically impossible for an accidental discharge even when tucked into the pants with no holster.  I know how we all really, really like our R9's and want to 'protect' them but first and foremost to me, it is a tool to protect me and it is important to me that I not be easily spotted as carrying a gun.  I have sweat all over both my R9's and they are holding up fine.

Man, I really love my R9's and could not imagine being without them now.  NO other pistol I have yet come across even comes CLOSE to the ease of carry, natural pointability, decent trigger and power(9mm) of the R9.

I would STILL like an R9 with a stainless steel frame though.  IMO, the extra weight would give the gun a better feel balance wise.

Sorry to go off thread topic.  I just can't help but to talk about the R9.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »
Ok, Mike; be careful out there.

Offline Bill

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »
Ok, I'm new here. And I'm of the opinion that guns don't go off by themselves. Well, 1911s can if they've been gunsmithed on, and you take the safety off. Ain't sure about the other designs, figure they can also.

I'm also of the opinion that operator error is the main cause of the gun going off when it ain't supposed to. I think if you follow rule #1, if the gun goes off when it ain't supposed to, nothing really bad happens (except to your pride) and that's good.

I aint' too smart and maybe I've read more than I can comprehend.

bill

Oops, looks like I might be offthread, so I don't use any holster that points the gun at ME, anytime.

Offline wadepat2

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »
Holster should cover trigger guard so you dont accidentaly snatch the trigger when you NEED your gun. Normally everyone should be in the right mind state to not put there finger in the guard until its time to fire. In a high stress/life threatning situation I would rather not hope I remember. I would prefer to have the holster help me make a proper draw(finger off trigger) then finger to trigger after gun has cleared you. How many here know for sure how there motor skills and brain will work in this situation. I look at it as a little help just incase. Just my opinion as I have never and hope to never NEED my gun,

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
I sure hope the pup doesn't fall out of that good looking holster.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus