Author Topic: Another Holster Option?  (Read 12344 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Another Holster Option?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
Good news on the arrival of the R9 and the start of the R9 Recluse holster.  (breath not being held)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
 I think there are more than one of us holding up on buying a new holster with the news of this project. Looking forward to it...

Mark
Mark

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
    Recluse, any idea of an eta yet? I'm sure if I tug on your sleeve it'll really speed things up. Seriously, I do want one as soon as they are ready.    Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
Yep.  Always room for a new holster!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 01:50:18 AM »
I hope you guys aren't holding your breath yet!

The leather is really close for the front-pocket version, and the square pocket isn't much farther behind.  The trigger block is still a little ways away, and once we think we've got it right, I'm going to use and abuse a prototype for a bit to make sure we will be proud to show it off.

I'm anxious, as I want to carry the Rohrbaugh, and I don't have a decent holster for it!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »
Sounds like good progress.  

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
Really looking forward to it. When you get a chance to answer, could the front pocket version work in the back pocket and/or shorts side cargo pocket or would it shift too much?

M
Mark

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
All depends on your particular pants.  I regularly switch a front-pocket version between front and back pockets.  I have one pair of jeans my wife bought me that has a wide, flat front pocket, and the Plus works better than a Front.

Some slacks tend to have shallow rear pockets, and extra-deep front pockets.

As a general rule, the Front pocket works just as well as the Square pocket in the back, so on one hand it's more versatile than a Square pocket.  The advantages of the Square pocket is it does a better job of mimicking a wallet to an onlooker, and allows for the spare magazine.

What do I prefer?  Since I'm spoiled, and get to use both, if I'm going to be standing/walking most of the day, I will use the Square pocket.  If I will be spending most of the day sitting or driving, I will probably use a Front pocket.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
I've posted this before, but it would appear appropriate here to do so again.

Since I favor front-pocket carry for my R9, each time I purchase a new pair of slacks or BDU trousers, I have a local seamstress deepen the right-front pocket with cotton twill fabric to measure 12" on the forward crease and squared away 5-1/2" wide at the bottom. The lady has become very adept at the process and refers to it as "making a holster holster." Knowing that my pistol is completely concealed and will not drop out of the pocket while I am seated in a recliner or deep-cushioned couch is well worth the $10.00 cost she charges for making a "holster holster."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
A "holster holster".  I like it!

5 1/2" wide at the bottom is plenty of room for a  Recluse Plus, but we probably will start with just the Front and Square versions, as there is no Crimson Trace available yet for the Rohrbaughs.  The reason for the Plus is so the spare magazine is far enough away from the laser's on/off button.  In the regular Square, the laser's battery wouldn't last long if a CT and a spare mag were used simultaniously.

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
Thank you for the information and taking on the project as well!

Mark
Mark

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »
 Are we there yet? As I said in an earlier post, please put me down for a black right hand front pocket. If you want the money up front let us know. Thanks,Gene
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:10:37 PM by birdman »
birdman

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
I appreciate it, but no need to pay in advance.

When we are ready to make them available, we'll let you know.

I've been carrying a front-pocket version for few days, and it works well.  I'll be trying out an updated trigger block on a Square pocket this week.