Author Topic: aluminum grips. Should I?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
aluminum grips. Should I?
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
Looks like I need to call Maria Monday and pick her brain. Was wondering if Rohrbaugh sells aluminum grips. Im told most aluminum grips are AFTERMARKETS. If anyone has expieriance with the aluminum grips id like your input. I currently have the carbon fiber grips which are blue, and very attractive, but the pistol does feel like it wants to  jump out of my hand when I shoot it. Im hopeing the aluminum grips have that grippry texture and feel like Sigs aluminum grips and would eliviate that issue. I am a little concerned tho that this would make the gun somewhat slower to draw from a pocket holster. anybody care to weigh in on this?

ccoorreeyy

Re: aluminum grips. Should I?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Rohrbaugh sold Aluminum grips a while back but from what I remeber they had an issue with them not holding up.  I had a couple sets of them and they were fine but I never put lots of rounds through one with those grips on them.

IDM made a FANTASTIC set of aluminum grips for the R9 but only made a few and seems to be un-contactable nowdays.

I would suggest you call Maria and get a set of the Hogue Extreem checkered G10 grips for your R9.  They really do a fine job adding "grip" to the pup.  If you do go that route and end up not needing your Blue CF grips I sent you a PM about them.   ;D

Enjoy the PUP!

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:36:35 PM »
i got the Blue grips from Karl waaaay back. Had a stripped grip screw and butchered the g-10s that were on it trying to "fix" it. I REALLY like the texture/tackyness of aluminum grips so maybe if somebody has some they wanna trade ill get some otherwise ill stick with the carbon fibers. FWIW the carbon fibers are SLIGHTLY thinner than the g-10s but...once again, Thankyou for the info!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
No problem, I sent you another PM.

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:36:58 AM »
Try contacting Alumagrips.com.  They made them for the R9, or did.  They are now just down to whatever inventory is left over.  I assume they made these for Rohrbaugh as they have the Rohrbaugh logo on them.

I bought a few pairs of the smooth aluminum from them and am currently working on hand checkering one set.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »
Capt.:

I have two of the early sets of the aluminum grips for my R9, thanks to Eric. One is smooth and natural "silver" in color while the other is OD green and checkered. The checkered set definitely offers more control. I have several types of grips for the pistol, but the OD aluminums and the black carbon fibers are my favorites. Here's a photo of the R9 wearing the ODs:

I'm not certain that the company still sells the aluminum grips. I seem to recall that there were some QC problems being reported from the supplier. I've never experienced any problem with mine, but Maria would know about current availability.

Meanwhile, John and "Enigma" are gearing up to offer CNC aftermarket grips in a variety of materials, aluminum included, I believe.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:23:48 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Capt, I have a set that I don't use.  I like the G10's the best.  I believe the set I have was one of the last ones that Maria had in stock.  I bought them last year around this time.

Like new no marks pm me if your interested.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
p.m./s sent

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
Capt.:

I have two of the early sets of the aluminum grips for my R9, thanks to Eric. One is smooth and natural "silver" in color while the other is OD green and checkered. The checkered set definitely offers more control. I have several types of grips for the pistol, but the OD aluminums and the black carbon fibers are my favorites. Here's a photo of the R9 wearing the ODs:

Thankyou! Now that I have a picture of them I know what to look for!

I'm not certain that the company still sells the aluminum grips. I seem to recall that there were some QC problems being reported from the supplier. I've never experienced any problem with mine, but Maria would know about current availability.

Meanwhile, John and "Enigma" are gearing up to offer CNC aftermarket grips in a variety of materials, aluminum included, I believe.

Good luck.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »
capt. FYI the aluminum grips seemed to "zing" my hand when shooting.  I like the cushion of the G10, even the CF's I have are not as forgiving.  IMO  

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:20:12 PM »
a little zing is a goodthing  ;) im thinkin if they are that "grippy" maybe i can remove the "pinky extension" on my pup. sent u a p.m.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:46 AM »
Well I got the aluminums from Dino today and I love em! EXACTLY what Ive wanted and needed. Dino is GREAT! FAst shipping, and described EXACTLY as they were...LIKE NEW! Cant say enough good stuff about Dino hes tops! ;)

These grips are everybit as elegant as they are functional. why Rohrbaugh dropped em from the product line is beyond me but I highly recommend them!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
capt.  Glad the aluminums worked.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:51:29 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
capt. thanks for the kind words, glad your happy with them!

I think I will buy a set of Houge Extreem G10s from Maria, will let you know what I think.

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
I just recently sent my brand new R9s Stealth Elite back to the factory. They had to remove the black checkered aluminum grips similar to the ones pictured here, except mine had the Rohrbaugh logo on the top half of each grip. I wasn't happy that they removed my brand new grips, but they told me at the factory that these grips created problems with the screw inset elongating, creating an unstable and even loose grip. I had only shot my pup once, and noticed that the left grip was slightly movable. So they replaced it with approved Hogue Extreme G10's. They sent me my former grips back as well. Sometimes the cure is a bitter pill to swallow...but I know how you feel about those grips - they are really sharp.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment