Author Topic: The "pup" bit me!  (Read 1712 times)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
The "pup" bit me!
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:42:20 PM »
Range report:

Before I headed to the range I polished the feed ramp with 1800 grit sandpaper to a mirror finish. I used ONLY the new style magazines.

The Winchester Silvertips fed flawlessly (30 rounds), I continued to have problems with the Federal HST's (Hydro Shok Two). The Federals jammed five times and it was always on the fourth round in the magazine.

When I got back into my vehicle I noticed a blister 3/8" x 3/4" at the base of my thumb where it presses against the left grip panel.

Note to self: Either use a glove on the range or fire less rounds in one session!

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline Arizona

• Expert
Re: The "pup" bit me!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:58:13 PM »
No problems to report with the new Federal HST.

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »
PursuitSS,

The Pachmayr #4 slip-on grip seems to have helped my R9 in that area that you describe. Once in place, I hardly know it's on there. The Pup is a handful but the Pachmayr grip has helped a lot in several ways.

Regards,
Thunderbolt
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."   Hon. Davey Crockett

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:29:16 PM »
Thunderbolt,

I use the #4 grip as well. Works great for controling the very active pup.

Another vote for the Silver Tips 115 gr hp!!!!

Fred

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:03:45 PM »
The pup will usually bite a bit after a longer spell of shooting - for me it is not the the thumb but the inner portion of ring finger - tho grip tape does reduce the problem.

When I was running a lot of ammo thru for tests I did wear fingerless bike gloves and these helped a lot.  otherwsie these days - 2 magsfull of ammo is enough for a ''re-aquaintance'' session :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.