Author Topic: Want to purchase a Rohrbaugh 380 pistol  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Hank 3

Want to purchase a Rohrbaugh 380 pistol
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
But can not find one anywhere. Any suggestions? No one answers the phone at Rohrbaugh since they have moved.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Want to purchase a Rohrbaugh 380 pistol
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

I suspect there won't be any until Remington gets ramped up for production.  Even then, it's not totally clear if they will make the .380 ACP version.  We will have to wait and see -- no one really knows what Remington's plans are yet.

You might find some in distribution channels that are unsold, but that would be like searching for a needle in a haystack.  Best bet is to watch the sale forum here or the big auction sites.

What part of the country are you in?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
I live in Deleon Springs Florida on a farm and am retired. I have been trying for 3 months to get an R380 but no luck. I guess I might try for an R9 instead. Thanks, Hank

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »

If you buy one just make sure you are covered with extra springs; presently, no one is making them.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
To clarify (in case you missed some of the other posts here on the forum)- its only the 380 that noone is making springs for aftermarket.  R9 springs are available through Wolff.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »

The good news is that the .380 does not eat springs like the 9mm.   A couple springs would last a reasonable lifetime of the pistol.  However, keep in mind that you could be buying a gun that has been discontinued with questionable parts availability.

On the other hand, you could be buying a collector's item too.   ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the help, but now I am thinking the r9 might be the better choice as Springs are a problem and as Gator said, they may not have parts  and or repair for the 380 going forward. Hank

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »

Well, just to be totally fair -- we really don't know what the parts/warranty situation is going to be going forward with the R-9 yet either.  Unless you are buying for the collector value, it might be a good time to wait and see what happens.

Although Rohrbaugh has been good in the past about honoring warranty claims for second owners, we don't know that Remington/Rohrbaugh will have the same outlook -- nor do we know exactly what they have planned for warranty service, etc.

I am not trying to discourage you -- just want you to go in with your eyes wide open.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
Thanks, Gator for all your advice. I think your "wait and see" approach might be best due to so much uncertainty. I have other guns I can carry for now... Hank

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
You know, I have been thinking about this company, that in effect, left its customers "high and dry" with no repairs to be made on guns that might need it, especially after you placed so much faith in it. One would think that this could have been thought-out better for its customers. Just sayin,  from a non owner ...Hank

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

Hank,

There is a lot of history to this that would be difficult to digest without some study.  Essentially a small, closely-held corporation that we all came to know and love was purchased by Remington Outdoors--a huge conglomerate of firearms companies.  Since the sale, the new owners have been largely uncommunicative.  In fact, they have never formally announced the acquisition in a press release or anything similar.

Those of us who were used to dealing with a small company where you could actually get Karl or Eric Rohrbuagh on the phone are struggling to adjust to the lack of communication.  Those who need warranty service are understandably upset.  Given this age of instant communication, the lack of any real information is hard to fathom.  However, we are now dealing with a huge company with many decision makers and maybe the wheels turn really slowly on stuff like this...   ::)

So...we are all waiting to see exactly how this will turn out.  In my strong personal opinion (not shared by everyone here), this should not reflect poorly on Rohrbaugh's original ownership, but is a reflection of Remington's approach to the acquisition of this company.

Time will tell, but there is reason to be concerned about the future of the Rohrbaugh brand and its existing product line.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Thanks to cargaritaville,, I bought the R380 on gunsinternational today. He came down some in price. It has the box, 2 mags, manual, warranty card and extra springs , with 2 beautiful leather holsters too. At first the site said, "no box , etc ,only the gun. But after talking with them the AD on their site was incorrect, and they came down $100  and I got it.. Thanks guys , can not wait to get the  380. How long do the 380 springs last compared to the R9?  Hank

Offline steveb99

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
Hi Hank.  Congratulations on getting a 380.  I absolutely love mine.  I have had a ccw for years but never carried as much as I have until I bought my 380. I only have one recoil spring left, and I have shot the one that is in now quite a bit, so I am giving my R380 a rest until I can get my hands on another spring or two. Best of luck with your 380.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

Offline Hank 3

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
I will be shooting it tomorrow, Monday, here at my farm range after I pick it up from the dealer.