Author Topic: Ammo ?  (Read 5036 times)

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
Re: Ammo ?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
I haven't made it to the range yet to "break in" my R9s, but I did score some GDHP in both 124 and 147.  I prefer the heavier weight in 9mm.  I'll report on the functioning of the 147 GDHP afterwards.

I got to the range today.  I shot both my R9S and a GLOCK 26 for the first time. (I even sneeked out my pocket carried PM9 to fire off my carry mag after 6 months -- PM9 is a shooter!)

I took GDHP in both 124 and 147 and a box of Win Ranger T in 147.  I had a couple of bobbles in shooting the GD 124.  Round 9 had fail to feed, but I was shooting it one handed.  I had to drop the mag and rack the slide and the round fell out the mag well.  It was hung up in the middle, half chamberd.

Around round count 30, I had fail to return to battery.  Slight tap on slide and in to battery it went and fired fine.  

And some where toward the end of my session, the mag failed to engage and I had a fail to feed completely on round 2 of a mag.   This was shooter error. I may have hit the release with the  pinky of my right hand while chambering round 1 with the off hand over slide method (4 fingers and a thumb).

Other than the FTF, all ammo ran perfectly.  The GD 124 is quite a hand full out of the R9S.  The GD 147 was more pleasant to shoot, but functioned perfectly.  The Ranger functioned similary.  

The only issue with both the 147 grain bullets (worse with the Ranger), I was getting 1-2 (or 2-3) tumblers in each magazine as evidenced on the paper target.  Not a clean round hole, but a hole and a tear.  When I examined the target carefully and push the tear flat, I can see the telltale smudge.  

I will carry the GD 124 given the company recommendation.

I'm sure glad I have the GLOCK 26 to shoot as the R9S is not a fun gun.  I shot 113 rounds total in the R9S.  I shot 100 round out of the GLOCK (and 7 out of my PM9 :))
- Dan

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »
Thanks for the report!

The only issue with both the 147 grain bullets (worse with the Ranger), I was getting 1-2 (or 2-3) tumblers in each magazine as evidenced on the paper target.  Not a clean round hole, but a hole and a tear.  When I examined the target carefully and push the tear flat, I can see the telltale smudge.

You may want t call the factory and talk with someone abou the tumbling.  One of the guys there told me that they had a brief issue with tumbling due to the way one of the tools was cutting the barrels (or something very much like that).  This problem may be curable if your pistol was one of those effected.

I have also experienced failiures to feed that were exactly as you describe.  I sent the pistol back to the factory, they did a little more polishing and cutting, and told me it was running fine.  I still saw some failures.  I think the pistol just needs to be held just so, and I'm still experimenting.

Overall, it sounds like yours is running pretty well if not perfectly.

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 07:28:10 PM »
You may want t call the factory and talk with someone abou the tumbling.  One of the guys there told me that they had a brief issue with tumbling due to the way one of the tools was cutting the barrels (or something very much like that).  This problem may be curable if your pistol was one of those effected.
Overall, it sounds like yours is running pretty well if not perfectly.

Read the FAQ on tumbling: http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/tumbling.htm

I understand it and accept it as a consequence of the small size, full power, SD pistol.

I consider my particular R9S as perfect and it has replaced my PM9 in my pocket.  

Perhaps our Rohrbaugh "insiders" can comment about what you were told regarding the barrel cutting.
- Dan

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 09:25:24 PM »
I do not think any barrels would have left the factory with that problem.  IIRC any actual barrel issue was very brief and in fact the main issues earlier on where I think mag related.

Open to correction of course - maybe TW or Duane can clarify.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.