Author Topic: Advice on this used R9  (Read 2617 times)

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
Advice on this used R9
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
There's a shop fairly close to me that has two used R9s for sale.  I'm really mostly interested in handling one in person since I've never had the opportunity.

However, if I get there and the bug hits too hard, any advice on price, or even just what to look for?  Or perhaps I should just stay away from used altogether and save a few hundred more dollars for a new one?

Also, if anyone knows where I could handle a new one in the general Houston area, especially the north side, I'd appreciate that.

Here's the two used guns:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=41883

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=44610

Thanks for helping out a newb :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Advice on this used R9
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
xaman.  $995 too much on the first one; for me, I wouldn't even consider it, unless maybe $800, then off to Robar.

The second one looks good, but I'd offer $895.  Good luck.

Looks like they have the two reversed.  The worst looking one, they have priced higher.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:52:24 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »
I wondered the same thing about the pricing.  I was uncertain if there were more desirable models or serial numbers, other than the obvious Robar models etc...

This shop is known to price high, but they always have good inventory.

I really don't intend to buy, but want to handle one up close.  Thanks for the intel :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
There are those of us who like the early Farmingdale's, which do have low serial numbers, however, that's a personal preference.  The new ones have all the updates, and may be better suited for most.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
The first one looks like they dragged it behind the car for a couple of blocks, it should be about $750. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
The first one looks like they dragged it behind the car for a couple of blocks, it should be about $750. ;D

Agreed! It needs some TLC and a refinishing. Some people seem to treat their R9 as if it were a polymer "truck gun".
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »

Definitely a good candidate for the Robar treatment!    :)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:09:59 PM »
 :-[  Some of us have pups which look far worse...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
:-[  Some of us have pups which look far worse...

Pics please :)

Guys, I got hung up at the house and unfortunately didn't get a chance to make it down to the big city yesterday.  Hopefully soon.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:41 AM »
We are waiting on your opinion of them. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
I stumbled onto a NIB Robar edition R9, so my motivation to handle these used ones dipped a bit.  But I'll eventually get down there and inspect them.  Not sure I'm the best judge, based on my lack of experience with these, but I'll definitely report back when I do see them :)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Xaman,

How much is the asking price for the Robar edition? There were only 90 of these made by Rohrbaugh.

Robar233

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
I sure hate to sound snooty, but I'm not at liberty to say, per the request of the owner...  But it's coming from a friend who I didn't  know owned it when I started my search.  

Only 90 made, wow.  Should I feel guilty when I fire and carry it then?  I don't intend for it to be a safe queen.

I certainly appreciate the help of all, and the patience with my questions.  If this all goes as I hope I'll post pics, but it'll be in about two weeks :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
xaman.  Congrats and I know you're going to be proud.  Great find!    :)  Oh!  Don't feel guilty!    ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:58:56 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
I sure hate to sound snooty, but I'm not at liberty to say, per the request of the owner...  But it's coming from a friend who I didn't  know owned it when I started my search.  

Only 90 made, wow.  Should I feel guilty when I fire and carry it then?  I don't intend for it to be a safe queen.

I certainly appreciate the help of all, and the patience with my questions.  If this all goes as I hope I'll post pics, but it'll be in about two weeks :)

xaman:

Congratulations!

The R9s are not meant to be "safe queens" -- not even the limited editions. They are meant to be used. Just take care of it and it will take care of you for the rest of your days. After that it can take care of the most deserving of your heirs.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"