Author Topic: I take it that the Rohrbaugh booth at SHOT does not display an R45.......  (Read 43403 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: I take it that the Rohrbaugh booth at SHOT does not display an R45.......
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

It is my understanding that CA also requires a manual safety among other things. If that is the case a drop test would be irrelevant to the R9. All of this "drop" discusssion sounds like much ado about nothing to me. Give Karl a chance to do his thing; the market will sort it out.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »

No one likes Rohrbaughs better than the members here but I think you let them down.

Lets face it, this forum helps sell a lot of guns for you guys.

Maybe this is a mis-communication, but I am not sure why you are adressing me in particular.  I am only a conduit for information as it relates to the factory.  Because Karl and Eric are friends, they sometimes tell me more than I can reveal publicly at any given time. However, I don't make any decisions about what info to release.

And just for the record, they didn't know me from Adam when I started the forum. This was my idea. While they usually appreciate the exposure, the forum sometimes causes them problems too.

Again, there are good and bad aspects of releasing info early. Many companies do not. I'm not sure there is a good answer.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
If the R45 -- as it is currently designed...were actually an "R10 -- in 10mm Auto", I'd definitely be interested.  But, an all-metal single stack 45 with a long DAO trigger -- I just can't think of a reason to forgo one of the other options currently on the market for a IWB CCW 45 Auto...especially at a premium price that is being proposed.

Maybe other will find a way to justify the purchase.  I wonder though, how many have to be sold to cover the R&D and tool-up to produce such a product?  It seems to me that there would need to be a hefty appetite in the market to surpass the break-even point.  But then, I'm not an economist -- even though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! ;)
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
I don't know how much for R&D - a lot I am sure.  They were, however, very encouraged by the interest shown at SHOT. The gun was received with a lot more enthusiasm than one might suspect from reading this thread!  ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
After reflecting on the matter, I have not expected the R45 to be a "pocket pistol." I think the R9 has pretty much reached the margins of the envelope for that small a semi-automatic pistol that is controllable by the average shooter. At my age, I don't have much left to prove to myself and am not particularly interested in owning an EDC pistol that is punishing to shoot. (Even John Taffin admits to certain limits in that regard.)

Based on Karl's and Eric's well-known admiration for JMB's 1911 design, I've thought that the R45  could be a Commander-sized handgun (or Concealed Carry Officer's size) -- perhaps slightly smaller -- that would be best worn belted (OWB or IWB), very concealable under a vest or jacket, and built like a Swiss chronometer. And I want one. My initial letter asking to have my name placed in line for one was dated January 18, 2007. I really do want one and expect to be as thrilled to receive it, whenever that may be and regardless of serial number, as I was back in May 2004 when I received my R9 No. 132.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:33:33 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
Point well taken, Richard.

I think 9mm is the best "compromise" caliber for a pocket gun.  A tiny 5+1 .45 ACP is not going to be easy to shoot.  One could definitely argue that 6+1 of 9mm would be a more effective pocket gun package than 5+1 of .45 ACP.  I don't think a micro R45 would replace my R9.

I too would like a belt gun that runs like a custom 1911 in a silky smooth DAO with no thumb safety and no grip safety.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
The benefit of a concealable belt gun in a large caliber (R45) and an R9 in the pocket with the same controls and the same feel and trigger pull should not be overlooked.  Skills learned with one should translate well to the other.  Not a bad thing for a self defense pistol.

While it's not quite what the quote may have been meant to convey, I am reminded of the saying, "Beware the one gun man, he probably knows how to use it".

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »
I don't know how much for R&D - a lot I am sure.  They were, however, very encouraged by the interest shown at SHOT. The gun was received with a lot more enthusiasm than one might suspect from reading this thread!  ;)

Some of us may have been encouraging people to go look at it... ;D
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Dr. Gonzo

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
i like the idea of the R45 not being a "pocket gun". The R9 is the perfect pocket gun already, light, reliable, unbelievably well made custom gun. So the R45 can be the best "Belt Gun". Having handled it at the SHOT Show i can honestly say there was nothing that came close to fitting that good in my hand from any other manufacturer. I went to Kimber, Sig, Colt, Smith, and countless others, checking out the new sub-compact 45's and everyone of them was heavier, bulkier, and fit and finish was better on the R45(and its only a prototype!). Considering the fact that the R45 weighs somewhere between 19 and 22 ounces, uses an officer mag and has a Rohrbaugh badge on the side tells me the company made a wise decision, one that doesn't abandon their fan-base or values. I don't ever recall Rohrbaugh declaring itself a pocket-gun only brand, it may have shook up the firearms world with an absolutely amazing feat of engineering, but they never once came out and said: "we only make small guns". To back yourself into a corner from the very start is stupid. It takes time to establish a name in the industry and they did just that with the R9. Now is the right time to expand it's horizons. Maybe a full size 45 target model is next? Or a race gun? Who know's. Whatever is next, expect it to be more of the same: Practical, easy to use, and well made.

Hat's off to Boberg for his ambition btw, a 45 GAP ought to be fun to sell. Making something in a caliber of little relevance in today's market or little advantage over the 45 ACP isn't exactly what i'd call practical/ marketable. Remember the last time you went to the shops and asked the nice man/woman for a box of 45GAP? Remember receiving that confused look, expect more of the same. Propagating a design that is both more complicated and even less proven compared to an R9, but claiming superiority is also gutsy. So is the stroke of creativity in the names "XR-9" and "XR-45", add one whole letter and it's off to the courthouse.... I like the "XR-9" , it gives the Rohrbaugh Brothers some competition, i wish American Handgunner would do a side by side comparrison of the small 9's already.

Oh and Mr. Boberg The R9 and 380's are drop tested to 10 feet. Twice the height required by NYS. *See your comment on the GunsAmerica Article on Rohrbaugh @ SHOT 2012*

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
i like the idea of the R45 not being a "pocket gun". The R9 is the perfect pocket gun already, light, reliable, unbelievably well made custom gun.

I don't. the AMT .45acp Backup is a pocket gun, and an old design. No reason why we can't have an R45 pocket gun.