Author Topic: Hearing protection  (Read 2556 times)

Offline lyndon

Hearing protection
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
Not exactly a R9 question, but I respect you all so much I wanted your input.  Any recomendations for 'electronic' shooting ear protection?

Thanks in advance

Offline kanuist

• Expert
Re: Hearing protection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:56 PM »
lyndon,

I have yet to find an electronic muff that is worth while (IMO).

The cheap ones are not very good and don't seem to last long and the expensive ones are too expensive.  

I shoot with a set of Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs that have a NRR rating of 30db ($20).  When I go to the indoor range, I might add a pair of Radians ear plugs under my muffs, these have an NRR rating of 32db ($10 for 25 pairs).

This setup works for me.  I can hear other shooters and I can hear range commands.  All without going deaf!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
Not exactly a R9 question, but I respect you all so much I wanted your input.  Any recomendations for 'electronic' shooting ear protection?

Thanks in advance

We have been using a style called Peltor Tactical 7 Classic muffs for the past couple of years.  They look similar to these available at midway They are great because they dampen loud noises but amplify tones below a certain decible. They provide stereo sound and are completely distortion free.

Some of the cheaper ones cut in and out when the sound dampens - so you can also miss spoken words for a couple of seconds or hear distortion until the ambient sound levels out. It's annoying and distracting.

We have another pair that are a bit more compact, Peltor Sportac (like these) for our 6 y/o grandson.

They work very well also AND have a lot smaller profile but adjusting the volume isn't as easy. The Sportac uses push button controls on the ear muff  -- the Peltor Tactical have a rolling knob that is easier to adjust.

They are small enough for a child, but adjust so an adult could also use them too.  The tactical version are too big for children's heads (if you have kids you shoot with).

The other difference is batteries, the Peltor Tactical uses a 9v -- Sporttac uses AA.  

They both work better outdoors than indoors.  Indoors, they pick up white noise - -like air conditioning.  since we only go to an outdoor range, that's not a problem for us.

I'd recommend either version (but I do like the tactical version better, even though they are bigger and bulkier)...  

They both have good long life as long as you remember to turn them OFF!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:39:25 PM by MrsFosforos »

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
lyndon,

I have yet to find an electronic muff that is worth while (IMO).

The cheap ones are not very good and don't seem to last long and the expensive ones are too expensive.  ...

My Peltor classic electronic muffs were very inexpensive compared to the R9S and work great.  My hearing is priceless and my department mandates ear protection for range use. In fact, I  often wear plugs and muffs for extra protection.

Can you imagine the pain when any high velocity / performance  round from a short barreled firearm is fired inside a structure ? I have been there - it is not pleasant.