Author Topic: Open Carry in Florida?  (Read 15231 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Open Carry in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Legal open carry, could pose a problem if the gun is not secured to one's holster.  Close quarters in a mall, someone walking by, the bad guy may find a way to get your gun.  

If the holster has a quick release, for only the carrier, as does some law enforcement,  may be OK, however, I would still carry concealed.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »
Here in NC you can open carry without a permit and can only carry concealed with a permit.
   I have read of an instance were someone open carrying had an over zealous store security guard try and grab his gun without saying anything first. It ended with a broken jaw for the security guard, because when he tried to remove the gun from behind, he received an elbow to the jaw.
  I have friends who open carry because they do not have there CC permits. I don't see the point in open carry in public if you possess such a permit, except for hunting or at the range or around your property.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
Read an incident in a Walmart (in a legal open carry state) where an individual was open carrying and was reported to the store manager, who then asked the customer to leave the store.  Customer didn't leave but was followed througout the store until he left.

Open carry does draw attention to one's self.  I was in a Waffle House in Ga. recently and an individual walked in with a .45 auto on his hip.  Didn't bother me, but he drew stares as long as he remained and as he walked out.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Iowa just rewrote its carry law which went into effect on January 1st.  Iowa is now an open carry state but requires the same permit as concealed.  I haven't heard of any open carriers in public yet, but I really don't think it is a good idea other than hunting or hiking either.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
Tennessee law does not require a holder of a Handgun Carry Permit to keep the weapon concealed, but you rarely see anyone carrying openly. You might assume, however, that with a population of 6.2 million and 339,000 handgun carry permits having been issued by the Department of Safety, every 18th person you pass on the street could be legally armed at the time.

I personally prefer to carry my weapon(s) concealed. It prevents alarming the nervous types and keeps the BGs wondering.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:40:13 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »
Could also mean that a good number of those other 17 people are illegally armed.  Something to think about, at least for me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:48:34 AM by kjtrains »

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
Open carry is already legal in FL when hunting or fishing and while traveling to and from these activities. I really can't think of any other circumstances where I would want to open carry, but if one did arise this change in the law would enable me to do so based on my own judgment.

Rick

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Open carry is legal in Pennsylvania and no license / permit is required to open carry - as long as you do not ride in a vehicle, and as long as you don't carry in Philadelphia (where you do need a license for either open or concealed carry). Walk to where you're going and walk home and it's legal. I have never seen another person open carrying so it's not common - but it is done.

A Pennsylvania LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) does NOT require you to conceal - although with one you CAN conceal anywhere except a prohibited place (Courthouse, Post Office, etc); you can also transport in any vehicle with no restrictions on where the gun is or if it's loaded. A concealed carry permit from any state gives you the same rights in PA as a PA LTCF does as long as that state's license is recognized by PA.

Personally I don't open carry and I doubt that I ever would but it's nice to be able to do so legally. It's comforting to know that I don't have to worry if I don't do a good job of concealing and my carry gun prints or becomes visible.

Florida has sometimes been a bit of a jerk over failure to totally conceal so IMHO getting open carry in Florida would be a big boon for their armed citizens and visitors to that state.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
I am in Florida and I worry about the application of good Judgement. I am not against open carry, but the consequenes of a couple of crazies grabbing for a legal carriers gun, or a wild west situation breaking out with a few legal carriers just because my gun is bigger than yours may cause problems for legal CC down the road. I do like the fact that I could not be prosecuted or harassed for imprinting or showing a bit of a grip when moving around. There may be  situations which might arise where of course I would like to open carry beyond what is already allowed here. Its a tough one.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »
Michigan does not require concealment. One may conceal with a permit. Open carry is becoming more common.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
Michigan does not require concealment. One may conceal with a permit. Open carry is becoming more common.

Yes it is in some areas..

We can actually open carry in the CEZs (criminal empowerment zones) that we are not allowed to conceal carry in!! :o

That is some convoluted law there!!

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
Could also mean that a good number of those other 17 people are illegally armed.  Something to think about, at least for me.

I personally assume that to be possible at any given time and place. It has been my experience during 37 years at the Bar that neither potential nor convicted felons tend to be overly concerned with the niceties of gun-control laws.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
I think concealed carry gives me an edge. I practice with a goal of drawing from concealment and firing two rounds center mass in 1.5 seconds. That is why I use a strong side belt holster when possible. I can't get close to 1.5 with a pocket holster. Unless my hand is in my pocket before the draw.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:08:16 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
It has been my experience during 37 years at the Bar that neither potential nor convicted felons tend to be overly concerned with the niceties of gun-control laws.

And there in a nutshell you have captured the essence of why gun control does not work - it is only effective on law abiding citizens who do not represent a threat to others.

As my grandfather (also a member of the Bar) used to preach to me from the time I was too young to fire any kind of firearm: "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."