Author Topic: Guttersnipe sights  (Read 23454 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Guttersnipe sights
« on: May 29, 2004, 12:58:45 AM »
I wonder if something like the NAA guttersnipe sights could be done to the R-9 by the right gunsmith?

NAA has a lot of cool aftermarket sight options for the Guardian pistols.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Guttersnipe sights
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 02:11:32 AM »
I would imagine a good smith could make some interesting changes but - ya know .... I still come back to the same thing here ..... use in extremis is probably gonna be very ''close up and personal'' .... so even the std sights on the ''S'' version .. well may not be used that much.

I am getting to the stage now with R9 where I plan to practice point shooting ... a means to control the pup with no sight useage (to speak of) ... and still get useful hits at 7 yards.

I still tho do want to dry and apply some mini dots of ''BrightSights'' paint ....... and see how it seems.  I think the dot on foresight will be most useful .... and will probably not wear off easily .. rear - not so sure.

If i get good results with an application I'll post pics.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 07:45:31 AM »
Gutter Snipe style sights are ideal on a firearm like the Rohrbaugh. They serve more as an aiming aid than a traditional sight. Perfect with a BUG intended to be used at close range.

What I did with my NAA Guardians is to purchase a second slide and have that slide machined for the Gutter Snipe sights. My original slide I had rounded over, removing the metal zit factory sights, a la Seecamp.

This is an idea that Rohrbaugh should consider. Machine some slides and have the sights installed. They would acquire another profit center, and the customer would acquire an additional choice.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 08:57:35 AM »
I really like guttersnipe N/S and agree they would be perfect on the R9, I also would not mind a tritum insert in the front site if it could be done.

I am pleased with the site's on the R9S though, they are funtional and are the best milled on sites I have seen.

wilco

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 01:24:32 AM »
under stress, point shooting is either slower than sighted fire, or misses the chest a  lot, beyond about 10 ft, with full size and wt,SA autopistols. With a DAO pocket pc, that's probably true at  6 ft, too.  There's no reason to be without the sights, unless it's FASTER than using the sights. It's rather easy to prove that pointing is not faster than sighting, at  4 yds and further.  An average of 5 tries, on the electronic shooting timer,  with, say, a year's pay bet on the outcome (for some stress you see) and making the shooter pivot in order to fire (to get rid of bogus, pre-shooting "alignment" of the body on the target. Such will never be the reality of the situation. I fyou had time to get all "lined up" on the attacker, why haven't you already shot him, eh? Without a timer, and an average time, you are only guessing about what's what.   Those with timers have known that I'm correct about this, for 20 years now. :-)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 03:46:45 AM »
During WWII the SOE/OSS taught point shooting exclusively for an armed encounter at a range 15 feet or less in a combat enviornment. The SOE/OSS technique was more "indexed" than western movie style point shooting, but the technique was nevertheless effective in the field.

While aimed fire is more accurate, I think it is prudent for someone to learn point shooting, weak hand shooting, as well as shooting in low or no light situations.

In the early 1980's I had an opportunity to shoot in a totally dark range. What occurred is that the sound of footsteps over gravel were recorded on a loop cassette tape (the kind used in phone answering machines) and a speaker was placed on the floor under the target. The range was 30 feet. You fired once using to sound to "aim." You then observed the target location by means of the flash created by the first shot and then fired another shot.

In real life, I would never shoot in total darkness. But I was surprised that the shots hit the target in center mass.

wilco

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 12:11:51 PM »
like I said, IF you can get all "lined up", and IF nothing is riding on the outcome, and IF it was before there were luminous sights. None of that is true anymore, and it wasn't done against TIME, nor was it done with a pocket gun. We DO have luminous sights these days, so only SPEED can be a reason to not use the sights. I agree about learning point shooting, but I do so  because 85+% of all attacks on civilians occur at  10 ft or less, the ranges at which point shooting IS faster than aimed fire(average of 5 tries, hits on the 10" circle of the chest) That is, IF the pointing is done with both hands on the gun, at nearly eye level.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 11:57:56 PM »
Huh....

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 11:53:40 AM »
 DRC Custom Guns, David Clay I believe is the innovator of the Guttersnipe Sights. Although I may be wrong.  Don't seem to be able to access his site right now,  will try later..
RJ=

wilco

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 01:16:17 PM »
Seventrees, Ltd, of NYC, had Gutternipe sights on their "Asp" chop of the Smith M39, 35 years ago, man.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 12:11:58 PM »
Good bye. [Just to clean up the last post.]
RJ=

Offline Jeff_OTMG

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 03:33:42 AM »
The original Guttersnipe was tacked onto the top of the ASP pistol.  That might work on a Rohrbaugh.  The trough type sight done by Clay will NOT work on a Rohrbaugh as the top of the slide is only .060" thick to reduce the overall height of the pistol.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 04:33:57 PM »
To read about the Guttersnipe system used on the "ASP" , link is below,  when there, scroll about 3/4 down to "ASP"..

http://www.hmss.com/qbranch/qb0101.htm
RJ=

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 11:38:26 AM »
Hi RJ

Thanks for the link.

I have an ASP and find the sight system to work very well for me, even with my aging eyesight. At one time, when Kevin Parsons was still in production with the gun, I had one made with conventional sights as I had to qualify with it  at 25 yards back in the '80s. I don't think it was a benefit and sold it later.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »
I have the "Gutter Snipe" sight system on my G380 and have learned to use it effectively.  There is also something comforting to wake up in the middle of the night and see those three tritium dots glowing on the nightstand.  I would have the system installed on my R9s in a heartbeat.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"