Author Topic: VZs on a compact .45 and R9  (Read 2020 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
VZs on a compact .45 and R9
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »
Order from VZ grips arrived today.  One set of black dessert sand for a compact .45 and one set of carbon fiber for the R9. 

The ones on the .45 are the Elite Tactical Carry slim lines with the mag release thumb notch.  When changing from standard grips to slim lines, one must also replace the bushings.  I also put the o-rings onto the turbo screws.  Removing the original bushings was a bit of a pain.

Moving on to the R9…once removing the right grip panel, I was real disappointed to see just how easy it would be for this gun to fail completely if the right grip came loose.  I’m no engineer, but I would think for the cost of these guns, a better method of retaining the spring would be devised.  In fact, it honestly has me questioning if I want to continue carrying this gun as a primary.   Anyway, that’s another story.  I got the grips on and am pleased with the look.

Took a picture that I think captures the difference in the factory grip and the VZ on the R9.  The VZ has more of a taper and is a bit thinner…overall, it does feel better in the hand.  I’ll know better once I get to the range again.

So there ya have it friends…got both guns gripped and in the process eliminated a few excess beers that were taking up space in the fridge….oh, and I must note, before opening the first beer, I emptied both weapons, checked chambers twice, and moved the ammo and loaded magazines to a whole separate side of the house.  No need to take chances.  My boss recently told me a story where his brother-in-law shot his headboard with an “empty” gun just a few weeks ago.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: VZs on a compact .45 and R9
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »
Toad, thats a fine looking pair of guns, I like the grips on both.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
Well done Toad!  Nice looking pair for sure. 
RE:  right grip screws-I keep the proper wrench in my cleaning kit and check them each time I clean after firing.  Also have used locktite blue.  They only come loose when you shoot in my experience, so no worries with carry for me and the locktite has pretty much solved the problem anyway.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Backup, I agree, never had them come loose while carrying and I always tighten after the range.  Was just disappointed to see just how cheesy (IMO) the design with regard to the spring is. I've had a pair of these for quite some time and this was the first time I had the grips off.  Seems like a simple retention device or something for the spring and trigger bar would be in order.  I’m going to peer into my Khar and see how that mechanism works.  I previously had a SOLO and the grip screws on it came completely out, but even then, the function of the gun would not have been affected.  I’ll keep carrying my R9 for sure, was just a little disappointed when I saw how easy it would be for the gun to fail.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
I agree that a little retro-engineering would be in order if not too expensive!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis