Author Topic: Took the Covert to the range today  (Read 4652 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Took the Covert to the range today
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
I'm finally back home for a while and the rain let up.  Took the R9 Covert, the Beretta Bobcat, the 1907 Savage .32 pistol and the Ed Brown Special Forces .45 to the range.

The .45 was, as usual, flawless and the most accurate even though fired at 20-25 yards instead of 7-10 for the others.  Ammo was a variety of Golden Sabres and some other Remingtons and WWB.

The Beretta .22 was also flawless and remarkable accurate for so tiny a piece, mostly due to no recoil and a DA trigger after the first shot. 

The old Savage was reasonably accurate at 10 yards using .32 Silvertips but I only fired 6 rounds to be sure it worked (new to me and I'd never fired it before).  Cool pistol, but I'm not looking forward to taking it down to clean it.

The Covert burned up about 60 rounds of Lawman 124, and Gold Dots 124 and 147 without a hitch of any sort.  Tried out the black straight mag extension from John as well as the curved black extension I'd been using.  I like both, will likely carry the straight and keep the curved on the extra mag for ease of reload (it will give a little more purchase from pocket or belt mag holder).  Wore a thin leather shooting glove and had no noticeable finger slap, but have learned to position the trigger finger with the inside of the first joint on the trigger to minimize that problem.  When I haven't shot the R9 in a while, I find myself pushing and flinching a bit with slow fire, something I just don't do with my other pistols and revolvers.  With paced but not slow fire at 7-10 yards I'll group 4 or 5 shots into a 6'' circle but have 2 or 3 flyers outside of the 12 inch circumference.  With two hand Weaver stance and quick fire using the front site and looking at the target, will get 5 or 6 (sometimes all 7) in an 8" circle with the majority just left of center and grouped at 4"s.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Took the Covert to the range today
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Thank you, John, for that fine range report. It sounds like that Covert of yours will digest whatever you feed it.
_____

And I know what you mean about cleaning the Savage.  One of my "Crufflers" is this Fabrique Nationale Browning Model 1922 (7.65 mm) that was issued to the German Luftwaffe in WWII. It's a real "monkey puzzle" to clean. I like to think of it as something JMB dreamed up in his spare time to see how complicated he could make a handgun.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:29:39 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
I've never taken this down...not had it long.  I collect Savage rifles (mostly 99's) and bought this on a whim at a local gunshow.  I have a rather intimidating thread on taking it down....maybe soon.  Love your picture of the FNB 1922...you're getting pretty artsy with your photography although to be truthful, you are blessed with the subject matter you portray!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
John:

You may already have done this, but you could probably find the schematic for your Savage at this link to Numrich. They also have a number of spare parts for the Savage models that you might want to acquire before they are no longer available.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=Savage+1907
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the parts info Richard....bookmarked.  Jack F. thanks also.  I have that video part I bookmarked from another source on the Savage forum (24 hour Campfire, where I go by Johnsavage). This one is better.  It would appear that I need to buy a clothes pin!
I'd actually been thinking of selling the pistol, which I bought on a whim, thinking I could use the money for something else, but it was really enjoyable to shoot and would not be a bad carry piece in an emergency, so I guess it's a keeper.  Gonna have to buy a 3rd safe soon.  :P
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis