Author Topic: Electronic Ear protection  (Read 4305 times)

Offline DGunslinger

Electronic Ear protection
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »
Hello

I would like to purchase electronic ear protection so that I can better understand commands at the range. Please share what has been the best bang protection for your $'s.

Thanks for any advice you may share.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Electronic Ear protection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Depends on how many dollars I guess.  I have several old off brands that work fine.  Whatever you use, take the batteries out when not in use.  I lost one (fortunately inexpensive set) because the battery acid leaked and damaged the electronics.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
Hello

I would like to purchase electronic ear protection so that I can better understand commands at the range. Please share what has been the best bang protection for your $'s.

Thanks for any advice you may share.

I like Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X.......A lot of people use Peltor
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
I have been using Peltor for years, and just bought a set of MSA Sordins last week. They are clearly a cut above. Some will say $300 is too much to spend on hearing protection, but I plan to keep my hearing. I just got a hearing test this past Monday (no need for hearing aids, thank God). The audiologist said that shooting is one of the hardest things on the ears to which you can be exposed. She said the constant noise of a factory is not as bad as the hard-hitting impulses of gunshots.
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
I have been using Peltor for years, and just bought a set of MSA Sordins last week. They are clearly a cut above. Some will say $300 is too much to spend on hearing protection, but I plan to keep my hearing. I just got a hearing test this past Monday (no need for hearing aids, thank God). The audiologist said that shooting is one of the hardest things on the ears to which you can be exposed. She said the constant noise of a factory is not as bad as the hard-hitting impulses of gunshots.

Get a set of the gel ear pads for them.....they are great for day long comfort... ;)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
I like my Peltor's I think they are the tac 6 but not sure. They work just fine and only cost $60. They work great with a rifle too. I am going to have to look at the Sordin's for $300, unless they are set up for comm's that is a lot of $$$

Robar233

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
These are what I use, they work really well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O

Good luck in your search.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X with the gel inserts is what I have.  Worth every penny.

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
two things:

just make sure they are compression models, not cut off. compression types make the louder sounds instantly quieter, the cut-off types clip the sound entirely, leaving you without hearing for a second or two.

and be sure it has two microphone pick-ups so you get stereo sound. this allows you to tell direction of sounds, very precisely.

i bought  Gentex Corporation Wolf Ears Model 1030A years ago which were the only muffs to meet those specs at the time (they are no longer in production).

yet, that said, this review says there are even better models available today:

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec96earmuff.html

my suggestion: buy the best protection you can, with the highest dB rating, regardless of price. they will protect your hearing (mine is screwed up) and allow you to defend yourself or hunt without hearing loss.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:55:35 AM by coyote »
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big