Author Topic: new holsters *picture heavy*  (Read 6477 times)

Offline calilw

new holsters *picture heavy*
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
i posted this under my other thread "small of the back"  but i figured i'd share with those not following that post.

after meeting with a local leathersmith here in st louis this is what i came up with.  

first is an on the belt holster that he had made for another customer's spouse and it's not what they wanted so he kept the holster and remade it as a paddle holster for them.  i don't remember what gun it was for but it only took minor fitting to make it work for the R9S.   now i'm not thrilled with the color, and i don't think there is a need for the tention screw.  but he cut me a great deal on it, and if the color really starts bothering me i can take it back and have it completely dyed black.  i do like the contrasting stitching though so i think i can live with it.  i've had it for a couple of weeks now and it is really comfortable and a pleasure to wear.

the second is an IWB with a clip rough side out.  this one was custom made to my R9S.  this is going to be my go to when the weather warms up.  i've only worn it a couple times and it disappears.

i also had him make an ankle rig for my S&W 340PD.  i never though i'd have an ankle holster but man is this thing comfortable!  i'll take pictures later.

so with it all said and done i had jack make me two new hosters,  modify one to fit the R9S,  and fit two other holsters i had for my 357.  he told me to give him 2-3wks for the work and after 5 days i had a message that it all was done.  and all the work cost about $150.  and wow am i very happy!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:56:30 PM by calilw »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: new holsters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:36 AM »
calilw.  Thanks for the pictures.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 3bus

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »

calilw tell me more about that ankle holster you mentioned in the small of the back thread. I am looking into the ankle but don't know where to start.

Offline calilw

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
his name is Jack Bender ph# 636-207-7793 email jbcustom-leather@att.net ...  he's a retired police officer and works out of his home so please be respectful of that.  i did talk to him about posting his phone number before doing so.  so he knows there is some out of town interest in his work.  he currently resides on the west side of st. louis.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:06:55 AM by calilw »

Offline calilw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
here is the ankle rig.  after talking for a bit about the other holsters jack brought out his personal ankle holster and even though i had no interest in ever carrying on my ankle i was open to suggestions.  and after trying it on and seeing how my revolver disappeared both visually and feeling.  and since he makes them to order you can choose the retention you want if any.   funny thing is after he made mine with the re-enforced thumb break he liked it so much that his original that he long time wore was going to be replaced with one like mine.  i've since worn this for up to 10hrs one day with no chaffing or disscomfort of any kind and no worries of it being noticed.

the last two pictures are wearing boot cut levis jeans and it prints less in khaki slacks.  best $65 i've spent!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: new holsters *picture heavy*
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

Thanks for posting the photos; it looks like it would be a workable driving rig if one isn't on the corpulent side. Big boys would have a hard time with the ankle holster in any bend over situation, however.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
I like that belt holster a lot!  No problem with the color either.  It has a very nice shape to it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
Over a lifetime which has turned out to be considerably longer than odds would have paid, I have found that the choice of a holster for a particular handgun is as personal as the choice of the handgun itself. I have a steamer trunk filled with holsters which, after good-faith trials, have not made my "cut."

I don't favor ankle rigs as a rule, but that one pictured above just might make my "cut."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
I have a boatload of holsters as well, and not too keen on ankle ones, however, this one may work.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline calilw

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
again i never thought it would be a comfortable option, but it really is a pleasure to wear.  

Offline prelude9569

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »
calilw-how much did the IWB clip w rough out cost you?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
Over a lifetime which has turned out to be considerably longer than odds would have paid, I have found that the choice of a holster for a particular handgun is as personal as the choice of the handgun itself. I have a steamer trunk filled with holsters which, after good-faith trials, have not made my "cut."

I don't favor ankle rigs as a rule, but that one pictured above just might make my "cut."

Ditto -  I have a set of chest of drawers/3 full.

While I have no ankle rig either, I do have a calf rig that works well with boots, so you don't have to dig.  Haven't used it in 10 years though.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline calilw

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
i don't remember call or email jack but i think it was $35 or $45.

Offline prelude9569

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »
forgot to say thanks! i emailed him and now have one on order. looking forward to it.

Offline prelude9569

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:58 PM »
just received my IWB rough out holster today from Jack and its is exactly like the picture and first class work. if anyone is looking for an IWB i would seriously give this a hard look. the built in body guard is definitely a nice touch.

off to the range tomorrow!!