Author Topic: Carrying in Indiana,Kentucky,and Alabama.  (Read 4293 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
Carrying in Indiana,Kentucky,and Alabama.
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »
 Happy New Year forum members.
     My wife and I are heading down to Alabama as tourists in a few months.We have never visited the south in a road trip fashion.
      As I have been looking online,it is my understanding that these 3 states pretty much have the same restrictions as here in Wisconsin.I have actually contacted the Kentucky State Police,by email,and asked if there is anything that I need to know outside of the norm.Haven't heard back yet,but I just sent it not too long ago.
    Notifying a police officer,if pulled over,is that required?Wisconsin it is not,but I would.I got rear ended two years ago.Just minor,but I did tell the sheriff deputy at the scene that I was carrying.She just said"ok."
    I plan on contacting Indiana,and Alabama also.Basically just looking for a little input on any on any caveat that I should probably be aware of in these three states.
       Needless to say,my firearm will be way in the back,in the case,separate from my ammo,when I drive thru Illinois.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: Carrying in Indiana,Kentucky,and Alabama.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
It's about 50%-50% on the states. It is always a good idea to lower drivers window, KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL, notify you are legally carrying and tell him where the gun is located.

If stopped by the Indiana State Police be prepared for a unpleasant time. I was stopped on I 65 by a ISP office, I was driving a BMW with Disabled Vet Plates and a 29 sticker. The 29 sticker shows I live in Carmel, the highest income per household in the state. I did ALL of the above and without saying a word he pulled his Glock and pointed it at my head. I was told to get out of the car, he handcuffed me, set me on the guard rail, and took my weapon back to his car.

He returned, unloaded it, took off the cuffs and handed me a ticket, my firearm, and the ammo back. All without saying a word.

I have never been arrested and that's the first ticket I ever got. I spoke with Gregg Garrison, the former county prosecutor who sent Tyson to prison. he said I COULD file charges but my license number would be on the dash of 2000 State Police officers and I would be pulled over 5 times a day if I did.

In Indiana when they run your plates it shows on the computer if you have a carry permit. Looks like I got the guy who doesn't like people who exercise their Constitutional Rights. There are a few out there.

Good luck, drive safe.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
  You received a ticket? For what?
    Sounds like you were in compliance with everything.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
  You received a ticket? For what?
    Sounds like you were in compliance with everything.

I was going 5 MPH over the speed limit so I guess I did deserve it but 5 mph is kind of chicken poop and pointing a Glock at my head really honked me off.

I have a brother in law who is a LEO in Indiana and since your plate number tells them you have a carry permit. He told me that some of the anti LEO's go out of their way to mess with you.

Oh well. I HAVEN'T been ticketed in the past though I did deserve it on many occasions.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

p.s. back to your original question there is a site, can't remember it off the top of my head, that tells you what States honor other State permits. SOMEPLACE, I think it may be Ohio you have to keep the weapon on the front seat.

Drive safe.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:56:02 PM by kevinqjhps »
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
  Putting a gun to your head, Wow.Seems a little extreme to me.Just sayin!
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread,my firearm goes way in the back when going thru Illinois.Indiana has reciprocity with us here in Wisconsin, but I will still contact them.I did the same when we drove out west.Just makes me feel more assured and not totally relying on what's on the internet.Last week I did write to the State Police in Kentucky just to hear it from the horse's mouth that there is in fact,current reciprocity,and if there was anything that as an outsider, I should know.They responded in like 2 days.
   Now,Alabama,our destination.Never been in the south,but seems to me that they are a very friendly,did I say very friendly,gun state.Isn't that where some politician judge waves around his handgun or something,after he got into some women harrassment situation.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »
It sometimes just depends on the individual LEO.  My youngest son is a Delta pilot, was stopped for a broken tail light in Florida...told the officer that he was legally armed and the guy said “Good, everyone should be”, BUT, I have heard of others in Florida that had the same experience that Kevin had in Indiana.  Just stay cool.  Arguing with a cop is equivalent to arguing with your wife....you are destined to lose! (My oldest boy was a local LEO in Tennessee, but is now a federal special agent).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
   Like everybody, you never plan on getting stopped, but we all know, shit happens.
  I would not argue with the officer. And I quit trying to win any arguments with my wife many years ago.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
   Like everybody, you never plan on getting stopped, but we all know, shit happens.
  I would not argue with the officer. And I quit trying to win any arguments with my wife many years ago.

LOLOLOLO. As the old saying goes " if it has tits or tires it will cause problems." ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »
   I have a friend whose second wife took off with his best friend in France, years ago.He had a very good analogy, but unacceptable in print.It was a good one. LOL.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
We can only imagine Johnny. lol
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
     Yes,and he was born with such high intelligence. Sometimes that's a draw back. We both taught school and carpooled together for many years. He reloaded all my 28ga.had some of the best bird dogs I ever hunted with,excluding mine of coarse, and today spending his days in an assisted living.
     What we all have to look forward to. That's life I guess. Time to pack up the R9 and head to Alabama.LOL

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »
I like ayoob’s advice for when being pulled over.

1) hands on the wheel

2) have drivers license and carry permit in hand

3) just hand the 2 licenses to the officer politely.

It’s kinda hard to verbalize “I have a gun” in a non threatening way.

My experience in IN has been very cool, but anything can happen at any time to anyone.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:13:45 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
My experience has been to hand them your two licenses and they will take it from there. A Texas State Trooper simply asked if I had my weapon with me. When I told him yes he simply said just tell me where it is without pointing to it. Case closed and I was on my way.