Miscellaneous > Classifieds -- For Buying or Selling

Farmingdale, N.Y. R9 with blue carbon fiber grips***SOLD***

(1/3) > >>

Arizona:
Hello, 

I have an R192 that was ordered when the article in "American Handgunner" with Roy Huntington testing and reviewing pistols #R170 and #R270.  This very impressive article led to ordering this R9 #R192.

History for Farmingdale R9's is given by quoting the one and only Eric C. Rohhbaugh.

quote author=ECR link=topic=9353.msg96361#msg96361 date=1574023871]
Hello Bob and Welcome to The Forum.

So, I’ll get right down to it for you the best I can:

•   R or not?: . . . . . I believe you are actually referring to the “S” and not the R. Early R9 Pistols we were designating as R9 (No Sights) or the R9s (s = Sights). You have a rare R9s slide on your early Farmingdale, N.Y. pistol. The reason that that was short lived was the fact that bureaucracy is alive and well in government. The NYS Police, who records serial numbers of firearms here in New York State, contacted us and said that if we used the “s” after the “R9”, it is a different firearm and that we would have to submit another round of firearms for testing and record them as a different model. We explained that all it was was sights/no sights, but the exact same pistol. Nope, the law is the law. We conceded and just went with the R9 designation after that event, which would have cost more funds, more firearms sent to them and forfeited and more paperwork for a sighted model. Silly?. . . . Yes. Typical government gobble-dee-gook?. . . . Yes.

•   Farmingdale, New York:  Original factory location.

•   Serial Number:  R196 = The 95th R9 Pistol manufactured for the public. We started at R101.
The first pistols just had numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. up to 48. Then we had a few higher numbered pistols for the purposes of trying new finishes on the frames. 200 and 300 series were selected for that purpose. Just a few of those exist today.  The R proceeding the number on your pistol, and many others to follow, let us know in the factory that that frame was the upgraded frame with full support (360 degrees) around each side for the barrel pin. No R prefix had a cutout on the right hand side in that area for the trigger sear bar. With testing, there was a slight issue with some frames beginning to have hairline cracks there, so we redesigned the area for full support of the barrel pin and redesigned the sear bar to allow clearance for travel there. It was a much needed improvement in the design keeping the integrity of the frame strong.

•   Grip Type:  You have the highly sought after original Blue Carbon Fiber Grip Panels on your R9. I have seen those sell on eBay a number of years ago and $350 for a set was the norm.

•   Magazine Bases:  The original mag bases did not have a cut in them to allow the mag release to fit into the mag. Those very early smooth base magazines did like to “pop out” when firing on some pistols. We addressed that issue by having a cut out to allow the mag release to drop into the base plate thereby stopping that issue and keeping the magazine in place when firing the gun.

•   Stealth Elite model?:  No, as tracker mentioned earlier. . . . . you have the “Standard” model R9S.

•   Lastly, the Logo on the bottom of the Magazine:  You stated: “The mag base plate has Rohrbaugh engraved in a very small text in a ribbon design, and what looks like a spring inside a shield.”  What that actually is is the design of our family shield / crest from Germany.

. . . . so there you have it Bob. I do stop by the forum from time to time and try to answer questions about the pistol, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away. There are many knowledgeable folks here who have been around since day one, as it were, so you are in good hands. You can also private message (PM) me through this site.

Again, Welcome aboard!

Best Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
[/quote]

XXXX

I test fired the R9 upon possession with only 12 rounds and it functioned flawlessly. 
Custom leathery R.J. Hedley pocket holster and one magazine holder. 
5 magazines and Pachmayr slip on pistol grip included. 

I never ending up using it for every day carry and the R9 has been in my safe.

Any questions, please contact me.

Asking $1,600.00.
Buyer pays for FFL fee and actual shipping cost to your FFL.

Frank

ccoorreeyy:
Beautiful R9! 

Arizona:
THANKS ccooreeyy.

ECR:
Frank!. . . . . . . Dear Lord!. . . . . . That example hits all of the buttons pertaining to "Early R9". 

The best blue carbon fiber grip panels! That purplish anodized frame treatment. Revised frame so the barrel pin has full coverage on both sides within the frame for strength. Extra magazines, an original R.J. Holster setup, and Karl's favorite. . . . The Pachmayr "bicycle tire tube" as Karl used to call it for grip assistance. Super nice 95th R9 Series Pistol made, and it's untouched.

Very reasonable pricing too. That shouldn't be around too long here for anybody looking for a genuine "Classic" R9!

Good Luck with your sale Frank.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

ECR:
I would like to add:   

To the buyer. . . . . . I have updated baseplates for the magazines that have the cutout at the rear so the magazine release drops into that for better mag retention. The magazine release was also updated at that time. I will send those updated baseplates with the updated magazine release to the new owner free of charge so you have them in case you want to update the pistol.
Yes, it's worth more stock, but those updates helped.

Your call whether to install them or not.    ;)

ecr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version