Author Topic: After-Market Aluminum Grips  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
After-Market Aluminum Grips
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
In a conversation with Eric Rohrbaugh today, I was informed  that Rohrbaugh Firearms, by virtue of a recently negotiated  arrangement with AlumaGrips, will soon be offering after-market aluminum grips for the R9 series of pistols. These grips will be available exclusively through Rohrbaugh Firearms and not through AlumaGrips. The exact price for a set of the aluminum grips has not been established, but I would guess that it would have to be at least $80.00 per set -- perhaps a bit more.  The company's web site is expected to be updated in the near future with specific information as to price and available options for the new after-market aluminum grips.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:55:45 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline IDM

• Expert
  • What you can't see can hurt you!! Predator UAV
Re: After-Market Aluminum Grips
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:39:37 AM »

looks lik Im a day late!! lol
Thats life!!
I will be going forward with my alu grips but Not expecting much interest of Rohrbaugh will ofer them.

Bryce
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc
Predator and Predator B  Mfg. Engineer

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:19:08 AM »
Bryce:

The availability of a variety of after-market grips for a certain handgun design is one of a number of indications that the design has achieved a wide enough level of public recognition and acceptance to support a market for customized accessories. Operations as large as those of Hogue and AlumaGrips and as small as those of artists such as Roy Fishpaw and Charles Spresser stand as proof of that concept.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline IDM

• Expert
  • What you can't see can hurt you!! Predator UAV
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind and insightful words Richard!
I just had a frustrating day fighting my cnc to get a few grips done and it was just a extra point for my cnc reading your post,  lol
Thanks
Bryce
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc
Predator and Predator B  Mfg. Engineer

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:12:26 PM »
Ever since I first saw the photograph of the prototype R9 unveiled at the 2002 Shot Show and placed my order for one of the first ones produced, I have wanted to have some aluminum grips for it similar to those which were shown on the prototype. In the initial post of this thread I reported on a recent conversation I had with Eric Rorhbaugh in which he reported that Rohrbaugh Firearms would soon be offering aluminum grips as an after-market accessory for the R9. Although these grips will be manufactured by AlumaGrips, they will be available only from Rohrbaugh Firearms.

Thanks to Eric, I have just been given the high honor of receiving two prototype sets of aluminum grips (one set in black and one in silver finish) for my early-edition "Farmingdale" R9. For this self-proclaimed "grip junkie," Christmas has come early this year!

Here are two photographs of my highly prized "No. 132" decked out with aluminum panels:

My profound gratitude goes out to Eric, Karl, Maria, and all the other talented members of "Team Rohrbaugh." Thank you for all you do! I also want to use this occasion to extend to them and to the members of this Forum my best wishes for the holidays and the coming year.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:11:30 PM »
SWEET!!  :o

Congratulations Richard...you deserve em.

Perception...Reality...?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »
Neal:

Thank you, sir!

While "test driving" both sets of grips yesterday afternoon, I noted that the checkering on those with the black finish provides a significant amount of added purchase when the pistol is fired. If that type of checkering is carried forward into the production grips, it should be of real interest to those R9 owners who have been applying patches of friction tape to their CF or G10 grips for added control.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »
OK guys, as promised here's a test image (that I hope will come up) showing my C10 grips with the checkering. I can do this same pattern on any grips, though on older grips it would be altered a little because the RB logo is in a slightly different location.  Cost shipped 1st 48 $39.00 1 week or so turnaround. I'll copy this post to classifieds too.

This checkering dramatically improves handling on CF grips. I can easily draw from a tight pocket with thumb and one fingertip no matter where they land on the checkering, even with dripping wet fingers.

Also shown are the black oxide screws I have that will not socket-strip when removed, even when locktited.

If this image comes thru I'll post one a little later on showing the night sites I've installed.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:15:01 PM by shakermountain »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:48:15 PM »
shakermountain,

I must say I do prefer the checkering on your grips compared to the no checkering on the no finish and the checkering on the black finish grips from Alumagrips.

I SINCERELY HOPE THAT THE GRIPS SHOWN FROM ALUMAGRIPS ARE PROTOTYPES AND THAT IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION.

I do not want to change from the stock grips screws though so I guess I have to wait and see what shows up on the Rohrbaugh website.

I want to say it again shakermountain, your black anodized grip looks outstanding!

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »
Richard,
  You are living large-way to go.. :)

I would think that the checkering would help a lot-although I have shot my pup's W/O any tape,without any problems..

shakermountain,
Great looking product!! 8)

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »
Richard, Very Nice and Congratulatons on the new grips. They look great. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »
shakermountain and all,

upon rereading I realize that the grips with the checkering I like are not aluminum but are the Rohrbaugh grips.  Anyway, I still like the checkering very much.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 07:27:23 AM »
Brenden and Dan:

Thanks you for the kind remarks. For the time being, I've removed the black CF grips from my R9 and am carring it with the checkered black aluminum panels. Meanwhile, I'm toying with engraving patterns for the sliver aluminum set which will preserve and highlight the Rohrbaugh crest. (Did I mention that I'm a "grip junkie"?  :D)

Mike:

These were two prototype sets which Eric was kind enough to let me have because of my prolonged and repeated expressions of interest. I'll be watching the Rohrbaugh Store along with everyone else to see the final pattern(s) to be offered for the new line of after-market panels.

Shakermountain:

That's nice work! I've got a pair of G10 grips for my R9 I may want to send to you.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:29 PM »
Richard,
   I don't think that the black ones are "BLING" enough for you!! ;D So you should send them to me!! ;)

Good on ya for getting them,I am just mildly jealous.. ;)

Nice of the R Bros to do that!! 8)

Enjoy..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Brenden:

How could one of the few men on this earth to own not only three R9s but also three -- count 'em, 1, 2, 3 -- sets of "CF Blues" possibly be even mildly jealous of anything?   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"