Author Topic: Locking your pistol/shotgun up in the truck  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Locking your pistol/shotgun up in the truck
« on: October 14, 2005, 07:48:51 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I found a Kevlar box somewhere that's supposed to be able to be bolted down behind the seat -- and requires a key to get to, etc, and means I have to mess around and flip the seat foward, etc.  Also anyone see a means of locking up a shotgun in a car/truck?  I'm thinking about trying to rig up one of those lifejackets to mount to the bottom of the rear seat -- I drive a crewcab.

Thanks
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Locking your pistol/shotgun up in the truck
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:32:48 PM »
Aglifter:
I bought a "HandgunSafe" from
http://www.handgunsafe.com/safes.htm several years ago for peace of mind.  They're made from heavy gage steel w / spring loaded door.  The standard Simplex lock is very quick to use, but does take up quite a bit of space inside the box.
The vehicle safes are made to fit into your vehicle's console.
Not too tough to install and I needed only to trim a little from the inside of the console in my Escape.  

I don't advertise that I carry a weapon, and the safe is completely out of sight.  If my car was stolen, a bad guy would have to wreck the interior to get that safe out.  (Which he would do without a second thought,)  Then, to get the safe open, he'd probably have to ruin the gun, which he'd probably also do without a second thought.  >:(

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 11:56:08 AM »
I'm with Slater on this one, and I have two. Very quick to get into if you need your gun and very secure. IMO these are the answer to truck or car carry.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 07:55:12 PM »
Sounds a useful addition, tho I carry normally and don't leave guns in truck - well, apart from my lil' Papoose that lives there, in two parts!

I can when driving if needed, draw and place between thighs if I perceive a risk area - but that us not too common an occurrence.

Usually if shottie is on board too (870) that goes under crew cab rear seat but does not stay in truck unattended much if at all.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »
I keep my pistol in a Life Jacket sometimes in the house.

It should mount easily in a truck.  A key is used to open it.  When it is opened, the mounting hole is accessible.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 08:32:37 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 03:16:30 AM »
I'd like to be able to safely keep a shotgun in the truck, so I'm looking for a more permanent thing there -- the pistol lock up is to hold it while I run into the post office, or into a restaurant -- in SC crazy land you can't carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, even if you don't drink.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.