Author Topic: permission to carry into dwelling  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
permission to carry into dwelling
« on: October 16, 2005, 03:19:48 AM »
I have no problem w. the idea, and I think most state's require permission from the occupant before you carry in, but anyone have any idea about roommates?  As in, one knows that I carry, and she's never had a problem, but I'm 99% sure that the roommate doesn't -- I don't intentionally carry into their apartment, but I'm afraid I might forget to empty my pockets one day.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: permission to carry into dwelling
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:02:47 PM »
Like Gandolf said to Frodo "Keep it safe, keep it secret" or in other words its better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. With the deep concealment possible with the R9 i would just carry like I wanted and if made make some explanation like you're so used to it you forgot it was even there. But certainly don't break any carry laws in your state. :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:38:34 PM »
I don't remember reading about carrying a handgun into someone's private residence in Michigan.

I have never carried into the residence of another person, but will guess it's OK in Michigan, except if the resident should say NO.

Someone like mismatch, sslater, Brenden, and others may know.

I think handguns must be carried secretly because of the meaning of CCW.  If you visit someone, they would not be aware of the firearm anyway.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 07:37:31 PM by Michigunner »

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »
Looking in my Michigan Firearms Law booklet from this past May CCW renewal, private dwellings are not listed in Michigan's concealed carry Pistol-Free Zones.
Personally, I think walking into a private home while carrying is a "Don't ask, Don't tell" situation.  If I carry while in my own home......I'd hope my friends would consider my carrying as comforting.  
But, specifically prohibited in Michigan are:
College dorms and classrooms
Private or public child daycare centers
Six other sites like a sport stadium, school, tavern where primary source of income is alcohol, places of worship, private facilities with seating capacity of more than 2,500 people.

(Nice list of places for bad guys to cause trouble without fear of instant reprisal, eh?)   >:(  
No, I'm not gonna call the local police department and ask, either.  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 11:14:02 PM »
Way to go Steve!  I felt exactly like you do.

I will obey every little tiny law, for sure.

However, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest.  I will not be calling the police, or the sheriff, or the Attorney General, or anybody.   :)

Just being a good citizen here, obeying all applicable State and Federal laws.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 01:20:56 AM »
''Concealed - is - concealed'' is way to go IMO.  I have been many places where I'd not be ''made'' and no one was any the wiser.

If a homeowner made it plain that they would NOT permit carry within I would aquiesce but - probably never go there again!!

My feeling is in this situation - if they do not trust me with a gun - they do not trust ME - which is in and of itself to me an insult.  Just my own take - my gun does not and cannot, jump out and create mayhem :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 02:37:39 AM »
SC bans concealed carry into a dwelling w/o express permission of the occupant -- just wondered in anyone knew how that applied to roommates, if one knows and one doesn't -- I don't really want to ask either -- I think I'll just try to remember to leave it in the truck.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.