Author Topic: Question from a "Newbie"  (Read 7979 times)

Offline CPD.LT

Question from a "Newbie"
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
Greetings!

I am a career LEO that recently discovered the Rohrbaugh 9mm. I am very interested in acquiring one of these exemplary weapons for covert carry. I am assuming with this many "cult" followers that this firearm must be extremely reliable, which is a must for me. I've tried to do my research on this weapon, but I still don't fully understand the many different models that are available and the approx. price point for each. When prices at Gunbroker vary from $1,000 - $4,500 you can appreciate my confusion. Due to the rigors of my profession, I prefer a stainless slide. If you're considering selling one, please keep me in mind.

My thanks in advance for any insight and advice that you can provide that will assist me in making my selection.

Many thanks!
Rick

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: Question from a "Newbie"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
According to Eric Rohrbaugh the guy who built the guns and a site member, there were a few thousand 2 tone stainless slide, black frame models made, $750-$1100. A few thousand Stealth models made, all black, $1500-$3000 range.

There were also a 150 TOTAL of 4-5 different models. $2000-$4500. Those are for the die hards or collectors. Your best bet, just for carry, is the basic two tone model. I got my last one like new in original box for $900. Since you don't need the box they do appear, time to time, for $700-$900 just for the gun itself.

You can get mags from some guy on G-broker for $100 or put your name on a list with a newer company and get them for $50.I will e-mail you the name if you want it. Quick reloads you will NOT be doing. You must press the mag UP into the grip to release the mag. As a BUG one mag is all you will probably ever need but most guns are sold with two mags. Wolff made all the springs and are still available, recoil springs are only $5 and should be replaced the first time you clean it then every 200 rounds, if you ever put that many through it. Most of us shoot a few rounds and put it away. I keep mine loaded with 6 in mag and 1 in the pipe. I don't think I have ever read of a jam with one using GOOD PROPER AMMO. The ONLY thing more reliable would be a brick.

You MUST use any of the standard pressure 9mm ammo. I use 115 gr Winchester JHP's but others use Gold Dots, or Silvertips just NO +P AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought one just to see what they were about and LOVED it. It is not a gun to put a box of ammo through but 3-7 rounds ( 6+1) isn't too bad on the hand. I now have two with another on the way and am looking for another two tone. I am 6' and 180 and it fits in my right front pocket in a Blackhawk #2 and with jeans is invisible. It also rides very well in a ankle holster.

Good luck,
kevinqjhps   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:06:08 PM by kevinqjhps »
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline CPD.LT

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Thank you! You have provided a wealth of information and answered most of the questions that I had. I will keep you in mind if I need additional mags. Your comments about reliability are very reassuring to me.

Thanks for taking your time to educate me. I am most appreciative!

Rick

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
As far as reliability goes, a few early slides had a hardening issue where a few cracked.  More recent slides have "USA" on the slide, and the newest slides with improved tolerances have "U.S.A."
As stated above, standard is two-tone. Stealth is black slide over black frame with stainless mechanicals.  Earliest guns were made in Farmingdale and were silver with blue carbon fiber grips.  Later grips were black CF, then black G10, Hogue Extreme, or VZ.  Tributes were made toward the end of production and mimicked the early silver over silver with blue grips.  Stealth Elites are black over black with polished slide sides, giving the slide a two-tone look.  Special Forces models are relatively rare and are all black with black barrels and mechanicals.  Rohrbaugh had a brief run of R9s sent to Robar for NP3 coating, and some think these are the models with the smoothest actions due to their polished and coated internals.  These would also have the most durable finish if considering deep concealment like those tee shirt holsters.
 There are others that are considered more suitable as collectable than every day carry such as the Stealth Elite Premium, Custom, Coyote, Factory engraved, various special serial numbers, etc. 

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Factory engraved?  😱  Pics anyone🙏🏻

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
I recall that the lowest MSRP for a new R9 in 2004 was ~$900 and increased the next year to $1000. Those numbers are what I paid to our esteemed deceased dealer, Tom Watson. There was never anything sold new for under $900, in my recollection. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
There are also a few "Coverts" out there (I carry one) that were bought by a Texas gun distributor and sent to Wilson Combat to be tuned and to have their proprietary finish.  They went for $1750 new some years ago and are all black.

These pistols must be kept clean, must use quality ammo (see the threads on the website), must never be limp wristed, and the grip screws will get loose afte 20 to thirty rounds  which will cause feeding issues (again, multiple threads dealing with this on this web).  I tighten the grip screws, most importantly on the right side, after every range trip.  These are belly guns and not range guns...fire them at the range to get your input on grip, trigger control, point and shoot aimpoint and ammo sensitivity (some pistols are notional and have preferences among the quality offerings available).  Then just carry them with confidence.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:41:41 PM »

Shot Show 2006 "Deluxe" model with engraving and GOLD inlays.

Anyone want to post a pic of their R1000 sitting on today's NY Times? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:52:01 PM by PhilZ »

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 05:23:43 AM »
Thanks Phil

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
I recall that the lowest MSRP for a new R9 in 2004 was ~$900 and increased the next year to $1000. Those numbers are what I paid to our esteemed deceased dealer, Tom Watson. There was never anything sold new for under $900, in my recollection.

The prices I mentioned are ball park prices of recent G0broker guns sold.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »

Shot Show 2006 "Deluxe" model with engraving and GOLD inlays.

Anyone want to post a pic of their R1000 sitting on today's NY Times?

THAT is impressive. Thanks.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
Wait till you see mine. 😳👍🏻

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Is the OP a member of the Carmel Indiana police?
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
     Okay I have my original receipt here.
     Purchased 12/11/2010
    Roughbaugh R9   $1025.00
    Ten springs           $49.99
    Paddle Holster        $69.99
    Slide Holster            $64.99
       The holsters came right from Rohrbaugh when I purchased the gun.
     I wish I would have bought the Rohrbaugh too.But I didn't.
                                                                                                                        johnny

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
   Correction!
  "I wish I would have bought the rohrbaugh too"
  Nothing like proof reading!!!!
 I have the R9.What I meant to write was,"I wish I would have bought the Rohrbaugh knife too."