Author Topic: Had A Weird Failure Today  (Read 3870 times)

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
Had A Weird Failure Today
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
I was at the range today. Put a few mags through the R9 without issue. First time firing the gun since Eric sent me the new slide. About the 4th mag in, I racked the slide and loaded the first round. It went bang but then the slide was racked back, locked as if it had a slide catch. The case was already ejected, the second round hadn't been pushed out of the mag yet and into chamber. I dropped the mag, inspected the chamber for debris. Everything was clean and clear. I grabbed the slide and tried to pull it back further, wouldn't budge. I tried to push it forward, wouldnt budge. I was scratching my head at this point.

With the barrel exposed out in front of the slide, I grabbed it and pushed it down with minimal force and the slide flew forward back into place. I racked the slide multiple times to see if I could feel anything catching without any issue and I continued to put a few more mags through it without a single hick-up. I cant see for the life of me where anything grabbed. Everything was lubed properly with super lube. I just tore the gun down and degreased it. I only see normal wear in all the places where there is usually wear. Any ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:19:40 PM by offrdmania »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Had A Weird Failure Today
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Keep it degreased and don't use super lube grease. Rohrbaugh stopped recommending that years ago.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
Had A Weird Failure Today
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »
I only put super lube on the slide rails and the top of the barrel. The trigger mechanism gets gun oil.

So I think I know why its sticking but still cant find the exact spot its sticking. I put the slide back on the lower without the barrel or recoil rod inside the slide. I pull the slide all the way back and it sticks. (I think this is the striker ramp and contacts the striker?) Its at this point that the ramp sticks and I have to give it a good heave-ho to get the slide to move forward again. I just did the same thing with the old slide and it does not stick at all. Notice in the picture that the angles seem to be machined differently. The one on the bottom is the new slide and the angle of the ramp seems to be steeper.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:52:45 PM by offrdmania »

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Problem solved. That was the issue. I just broke out the jewelers files and knocked down the top edge of the crown so that the angle wasnt so great on that ramp. I didnt bubba it and remove material per-say, just massaged the edges where contact is made. I then put the slide in my bead blaster and hit the filed area with extra fine 175/325 glass bead to make the surface area consistent and smooth. I then washed down the whole slide in my degreaser tub. Dried it off and put it on the frame. No catch at all and is now as smooth as the old slide.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:40:07 PM by offrdmania »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
Nice investigative work there offroad . . . . . Do you need a job as a gunsmith warranty tech?  . . . . .  ;D

Glad you figured things out. Each R9 has it's "thing" being hand fitted. Great job there Sir. Now carry on . . . . .

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Nice investigative work there offroad . . . . . Do you need a job as a gunsmith warranty tech?  . . . . .  ;D

Glad you figured things out. Each R9 has it's "thing" being hand fitted. Great job there Sir. Now carry on . . . . .

ecr

Thanks Eric. I think it would have taken much longer to figure out if I didnt have that old slide lying around for comparison.

Offline mikejd

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
Nice job. Glad you figured it out.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
Most likely offroad. Good work. Thanks for sharing with the guys here.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.