Author Topic: Problem at the range with my R9  (Read 6346 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Problem at the range with my R9
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Went to the range with my son, visiting for the weekend during his two weeks at FLETC.  He had trouble getting the trigger to reset...I though it was his grip (large hands) as his thumb impinged the slide a bit, but then it happened during dry firing.  I fired 6 rounds without a problem, then reloaded and had the same experience.  All grip screws were tight and lubrication was fine.  Likely cause ? Trigger spring?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Problem at the range with my R9
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »
I would start by carefully removing the right grip and see if there were any apparent problems with the spring being off or the drawbar being out of place.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
Thanks, will be cleaning it today, so will remove grips and do a "deep" clean this time.  Had it at the range just two weeks ago and it did fine...cleaned and tightened grip screws afterwards (I use EEZOX).  I've never experienced this before with either of the R9's.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Try removing the right hand grip panel. . . . . clean the area. . . . make sure the trigger/sear bar moves freely on the trigger's post for the bar . . . . put a skin coat of oil on the inside of the grip panel where the bar rides against. That should do the trick.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
Thank you Eric, will do.  My son is leaving to go back to FLETC as we speak, so I'll get to it tomorrow.  I don't feel right when my EDC acts up...my "safe space" feels less safe!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
You'll get her up and running proper in no time with these little maintenance tips here. Things that are mechanical require such things, that's all.

Please let your son know that all of us here on the forum wish him well and safety through the years of his dedicated service to keep us all safe. God Bless him. . . . . and Thank him.

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:05:59 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
I will give him your best wishes Eric.  I was impressed with his shooting...we did the R9, a snubby Smith .357 (loaded with .38), a Ruger LCP snubby loaded variously with S&W .32 long, HR .32 magnums and .327 Federal magnum ammo, and my Ed Brown .45.  From 25 to 30 feet using measured but not slow fire he put rounds from each one into a ragged hole in each target...embarrassed the hell out of his old man for sure!  He is a fine young man.  He got some weird infection in Afghanistan and while fighting off a fever and weight loss went suddenly deaf in one ear, but has worked around it with a special hearing aid.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but real quickly here guys:  I am so sorry about the infection that took one of his ears (hearing loss). . . . . Damn. Glad he can work around that with today's technology. Yes, please wish him well Sir. Perhaps, given some time, the hearing may come back to some degree. Let's pray that it does.

OK. . . . Back on track everyone. Thanks for letting us all sidetrack a moment here.  ;-)

Eric R.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »
Back on track...cleaned the pistol, did what MRC & Eric advised.  Internally all looked OK.  With snap caps all is well.  Won't get to the range soon, so carrying my spare R9 for now.  Thanks foe the help.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
All good once again. Cool.

Good night guys.............

Peace