Author Topic: Hey ECR.....Question on +P ammo  (Read 5329 times)

Offline jh225

Hey ECR.....Question on +P ammo
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
Just me wondering out loud here, but mind me asking the story behind not firing +P ammo thru the R9 ?

Not that I would want to anyway with the pistol being so small, but I would imagine the Stainless Steel, CNC machined parts could handle it, not sure about the barrel and fire controls though.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Hey ECR.....Question on +P ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:51:45 PM »
I'm not ECR, but I'm assuming they designed the R9 as thin, small, and compact as they could.  Increasing PSI decreases thinness, smallness, and compactness, and increases warrantee claims, so I'm assuming no +P was a compromise they made early on.  Phil

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
That is only part of the reason Phil, but yes, that was a concern to meet our goal. The real reason was that Karl, being a certified NRA instructor and a regional Bianchi Cup Championship competitive shooter in the early to mid 1980s and an avid reloader, realized that to get the benefit of the +P round in our gun, the barrel needed to be a minimum of 4" to reap any benefit from the round. As you all know, our barrel is nowhere near 4" in length! The only thing you will achieve is blinding yourself and making the second shot recovery time that much longer. Shot placement is the name of the game, not impressive flashes of gunpowder . . . . and in our R9, that is all you will do is waste gunpowder for no reason with +P ammunition and cost you more at the counter to purchase. Use the standard 9mm defensive rounds and have a nice day.  Ha haa . . . . .
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:18:10 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline jh225

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »
In my pondering the original question, the barrel length never entered my brain for whatever reason. Duh.   :D

Sometimes the best reason is right before our eyes if our brains don't get in the way. LOL!

Thanks Eric.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
No problem jh.

Everyone enjoy your Father's Day!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »
That is only part of the reason Phil, but yes, that was a concern to meet our goal. The real reason was that Karl, being a certified NRA instructor and a regional Bianchi Cup Championship competitive shooter in the early to mid 1980s and an avid reloader, realized that to get the benefit of the +P round in our gun, the barrel needed to be a minimum of 4" to reap any benefit from the round. As you all know, our barrel is nowhere near 4" in length! The only thing you will achieve is blinding yourself and making the second shot recovery time that much longer. Shot placement is the name of the game, not impressive flashes of gunpowder . . . . and in our R9, that is all you will do is waste gunpowder for no reason with +P ammunition and cost you more at the counter to purchase. Use the standard 9mm defensive rounds and have a nice day.  Ha haa . . . . .

I have to disagree here.

The 4" barrel thing might have been true back in 2004 but it certainly is not true today from my testing. 

I have carried a Solo for at least 5 years and the barrel measures 2 3/4" in mine which is 1/10" shorter than my Rohrbaughs.  I've carried +P ammo from the start as I can get 40 to 50 FPS more velocity out of it than standard pressure ammo of the same brand and in studying tests 40 fps can make a major difference.  I currently carry the Remington 124 +P GS Bonded which test great in every test I have seen, even is short barrels like the Solo.  Flash is not any more of a problem with this ammo than any others that I have fired.

Powder technology has came a long way and the ammo producers know that the short barreled 9's and 45's are a huge market for them and they are producing ammo to supply it.

My opinion, +P is more important in a short barreled gun than in the standard service pistols.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Is this true, using a Chronograph on your gun? Nice. However, I still question the pressures. Also, I believe the thickness of the slide dimensions on the Solo are fatter than an R9. I'll still just use standard 9mm ammo in my R9. Just saying.........
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:05:58 PM by ECR »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »
Eric

I am certainly not advocating using +P ammo in a R9, I know it is not designed for such.

I am saying for short barreled pistols that can strand the pressure there is certainly an advantage for defense purposes and most of today's ammo works fine in these short barreled guns.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
Not a problem. . . . . Fully understand and all is good here. Sometimes responses can come off like anger, but not one ounce of that here at all.  We're all good............... ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:02:18 PM by ECR »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
MRC: I'll still just use standard 9mm ammo in my R9. Just saying.........

Agree.  In this case it's about the structure of the pistol, not the length of the barrel.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
In MY OPINION, +P is vastly overrated. I use std ammo in all my bottom feeders. Wheel guns not so much:):):).  I would like to see a standard 115 gr round that spits fire, you know, like a .30 carbine, or .22 mag. etc. Even if you don't hit them you scare the heck out of them.

Back to the original question i thought, like many on here did, that it was designed for standard pressure round because  of strength issues.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
 You know what really works well?  Shot placement. Lol

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
In MY OPINION, +P is vastly overrated. I use std ammo in all my bottom feeders. Wheel guns not so much:):):).  I would like to see a standard 115 gr round that spits fire, you know, like a .30 carbine, or .22 mag. etc. Even if you don't hit them you scare the heck out of them.

Back to the original question i thought, like many on here did, that it was designed for standard pressure round because  of strength issues.

Nailed it Kevin with your last sentence!