Author Topic: Special Ops?  (Read 10925 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Special Ops?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
Here

Special Ops, that's the first time I've seen a reference to that name.  They must have changed it to Special Forces later.

Eric sill have to explain that one.

That's the first time I've heard of Special Ops too. 

Found this thread from 2010. 

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=2634.msg26808#msg26808

It seems like Special Ops is like a Covert in that it is a factory Standard sent away by the distributor to be coated.  If the "0310" on the $1795 price sticker is a date code for March, 2010, this would fit with the 2010 thread about it.

That thread says that the Special Ops was a standard model that Arego Guns had Wilson coat.  The invoice that came with the gun was from Arego.

I believe that Arego was the same distributor that had Wilson do the Coverts.  Sounds like they started stamping Covert on the Special Ops at a later date.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
Here

Special Ops, that's the first time I've seen a reference to that name.  They must have changed it to Special Forces later.

Eric sill have to explain that one.

That's the first time I've heard of Special Ops too. 

Found this thread from 2010. 

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=2634.msg26808#msg26808

It seems like Special Ops is like a Covert in that it is a factory Standard sent away by the distributor to be coated.  If the "0310" on the $1795 price sticker is a date code for March, 2010, this would fit with the 2010 thread about it.

That thread says that the Special Ops was a standard model that Arego Guns had Wilson coat.  The invoice that came with the gun was from Arego.

I believe that Arego was the same distributor that had Wilson do the Coverts.  Sounds like they started stamping Covert on the Special Ops at a later date.

The Covert was a TOTALLY reworked gun by Wilson, so much so that Eric said he didn't feel obliged to warranty them but he did. Not many manufactures would do hat BUT Eric isn't most.   
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »

"The Covert was a TOTALLY reworked gun by Wilson, so much so that Eric said he didn't feel obliged to warranty them but he did. Not many manufactures would do hat BUT Eric isn't most."

I have Coverts and believe me, Wilson does not do much to them besides cleaning, coating, and stamping the slides. 

I can find very little differences from a stock action

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
Hey guys, sorry ~ been busy. The Special Forces R9 was a Rohrbaugh made model. The blackened parts were Nitride coated. We stopped making those because of the wear marks on the top of the barrels, which many people did not like. The "Special Ops / Covert" models were stock Standard model two-tone R9s which were sold to Ben Arego and he sent those to Wilson for their treatment. We warranted those, but shouldn't have had to . . . . . . . but we did anyway.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:12:21 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
What about this guy?
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/689621414

That is an example of the R9 with all of the revisions built into it. That was our last generation prior to the sale of our company to Remington Arms Corp. That is a fine R9 there and priced really nice too.

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
Stealth vs Special Forces

Nice Phil . . . . . Your "pups" ?

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »

I have both, but I've found it's easier to get a google image for a post rather than stage a photo shoot of my pups.  The lights over my pool table are nice and bright, so you can tell the previous posts of my pups by the tan pool table felt. 

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »

"The Covert was a TOTALLY reworked gun by Wilson, so much so that Eric said he didn't feel obliged to warranty them but he did. Not many manufactures would do hat BUT Eric isn't most."

I have Coverts and believe me, Wilson does not do much to them besides cleaning, coating, and stamping the slides. 

I can find very little differences from a stock action

You need to SHOOT IT! I have nine R9's and the Covert has the best action of any. Also it was built by Eric, +!. Then detail stripped, and gone over AGAIN, by Wilson. +2. Tough to beat that pair.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Ha haa . . . . . Interesting thought Kevin!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
Ha haa . . . . . Interesting thought Kevin!

Eric

I'm interested in hearing your take on how much "tuning" Wilson did on the Coverts.  I've had 3 of them and I do not see much difference from a  stock R9.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:09 AM »
Honestly, I think all they did was some coatings treatments and engraved the slide (to deeply by the way) to say "COVERT". I do not believe the actions were changed at all. However, when one would come in for "warrantee work", the sear bar and hammer cam looked stock to me. The trigger felt like a Rohrbaugh trigger, nothing discernably different about them but the cost.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
Honestly, I think all they did was some coatings treatments and engraved the slide (to deeply by the way) to say "COVERT". I do not believe the actions were changed at all. However, when one would come in for "warrantee work", the sear bar and hammer cam looked stock to me. The trigger felt like a Rohrbaugh trigger, nothing discernably different about them but the cost.

That is exactly my observation of them also, thanks.

Kevin

You should be happy, it sounds like you own one of the special ones.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »

I don't think I ever read they were changed, just checked, polished, and coated.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
Yea, that's pretty much it Kevin.