Author Topic: grip tape on front strap  (Read 15599 times)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: grip tape on front strap
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 09:34:06 AM »
It was probably a Houge Handall slide over grip you saw. I have used this with my R9's but they will slow down the draw from a pocket due to the rubber not sliding smoothly against cloth.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
Re: grip tape on front strap
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 12:20:24 AM »
Hey Newt,
It could be a Houge Handall on Karl’s R-9s, I can’t see it that well. I had one of those on my Kel Tec P11. I took it off because it slowed me down when drawing the gun from concealment. I tried my Houge on my R-9, it was too large. Although I think there are different sizes of this grip enhancer. I also find that a piece of bike tire inner tube is cheaper and less tacky than the Houge, so it doesn’t slow down my draw as much, but it does slow down my draw somewhat. I find that skate board tape on just the back strap of my R-9 works best for me. You all do what’s best for you. Don’t be afraid to try different ideas.

Newt it sounds like you are serious about realistic self defense hand gun practice. As you know experienced concealed carry hand gun users not only practice static target shooting, but also practice drawing and engaging targets from their everyday concealed carry holsters (hopefully while heading for cover, but that’s material for another thread). Anyone of you who want to try this please start your practice with an unloaded pistol! When we practice in this realistic manner we sometimes find that what feels good standing on the range doesn’t work in a real life confrontation. Life is full of compromises.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 12:30:47 AM by ed5380 »